What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia seed germination issues

I just got 50 mixed sarracenia seeds. It's getting too warm here for me to try them outside so I think I will try Joseph Clemens method and see what happens.

Umm can I ask how long it takes S. leucophylla to germinate (fresh seeds)? :blush: They were in fridge 3 weeks and now they have been under a plant lamp one week. Still no germination but I guess 2 weeks is a minimum time? Media is sphagnum, temperature +25C at day and humid in a clear container.

4 week stratification is the recommended time period, as any shorter or longer and you will get very low rates of germination (ironic on the longer end since they must experience months of cold in the wild). Also, leuco seems to take a while compared to every other seed I've tried, sometimes 4-6 weeks before any sprouts show.

I use a small amount of PPM in the water I use to wet the paper towels I put the seeds in. I've had zero mold on the tissue paper since starting this.

Leucos, for me, are the most finicky sarr seedlings. I usually get lower germ and slower growth with leucos no matter what. Thats taking them out of strat anywhere from 4-8 weeks. They always seem to grow the same.

You could try germinating the seeds on LFS to lessen mold growth on germinating seedlings. I think LFS has some sterile properties.

I personally use 4 weeks stratification--6 weeks seems optimal and is what our Sarracenia lab uses. We get fantastic germination but the absolute key seems to be providing high temps (80F) under cover. Lighting with a good bit of infrared seems to be good at getting them nice and toasty warm. I tried 3 weeks before and there was hardly anything that wanted to germinate.

I have used paper towels, too. I put the seeds in, fold up the paper so they don't fall out, use a 2-min ethanol bath so nothing gets moldy, then rinse with water for a minute or so and bag them right up. I used only a small piece of paper the first time, so it actually dried out completely after 4 weeks in the fridge and the seeds never came up. Either plan to rehydrate or use a bigger piece of paper towel. I just wasn't paying enough attention and forgot about them.

And as far as leuco germination, I had the quickest germination I'd ever seen... like under 2 weeks if I remember, on leucos collected by our researchers from Splinter Hill Bog. It was insane. They're still the most vigorous leucs I've ever grown. I had 3 of the progeny flower in 2 years. No joke.

Dionae grows a heck of a lot more Sarr babies than I do, though--perhaps leucs need higher heat or are more specific about stratification needs.

There is no way that I could take them back to fridge? I have never done this so Im kinda a newbie..

Dionae grows a heck of a lot more Sarr babies than I do, though
Doesnt mean your input has any less value. I'm definitely not a pro at germinating sarr seeds but just sharing my observations from my limited experience.

There is no way that I could take them back to fridge?
I have before but you might lose any that have already began to germinate. You might want to try a tip I learned from Fred P, I think it was, and just raise the temps that youre currently growing them in(if youre germinating them at 75F then raise temps to 80+F). I've had success with this method in the past.

I didnt read all the posts, so maybe i repeat, but try dry stratification. Just put your seeds in a plastic bag, no water in, and put this into your fridg at 3celcius for 5 weeks. After, just put the seeds in your moist media, on the surface. Blast them with massive lighting, relative humidity and heat.

Over the years, i have 95% germination rate with this method.

Hope this help!

Ps: if you need to use neem oil, you did something wrong, like not enough ventilation or else.

I speak from my experience, feel free to disprove !

Back