Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sarracenia seed germination issues

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyq View Post
    3) The last of my seeds sown directly into pot containing moist peat/perlite. Pot sprayed down heavily with neem-oil based fungicide. Excess liquid gently squeezed out of media (though still wet). Whole pot placed in ziploc bag and placed in refrigerator today, to ride out the next month before being moved to growlights.
    Shockingly, I actually had a single seed germinate! I put this under my grow lights a few days before Christmas, and, frankly I had given up on this about two weeks ago... In fact, I ended up putting two D. capensis leaves on the peat to try my hand at Drosera leaf cutting propagation.

I came into work this morning, and actually saw this:

I was shocked! The lone germinator! Not sure if it'll make it, but I'm damn well going to try my best to keep it happy...

That being said, I realize that this was probably a chance occurrence; let it not be said that I'm not taking all the sage advice from this forum... About 4 1/2 weeks ago, I soaked a bunch of S. leucophylla seeds overnight in distilled water (with a TOUCH of dishsoap). The next day I dampened two pots of peat/perlite with distilled water and nuked them for a minute. (I didn't feel confident enough to try the bleach method.) I let them cool, sprinkled the soaked seeds on the surfaces, let them sit in a dish of distilled water for a few minutes to absorb, placed them in a ziploc, and put them in the fridge...

So far, no mold... (for a change.)

I'm hoping that my germination rate for these leucophylla will be higher than my bungling of the rosea seeds... Thanks again, everyone, for the advice!

And good luck to Yinepu, who I imagine will be more successful than my one sprout.
    (http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=125533)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seeds in damp paper towel, in ziploc bag in refrigerator for four weeks.
    Result: Mold everywhere
    I'd change water and paper towel each week against fresh (rain or destilled) water and paper towel. Perhaps add a little living Sphagnum to keep the PH like in a natural bog.

Any recommendations?
    Sarracenia is germinating much better with changing temperatures during germination time: Give them chillier temperatures during night, so an unheated greenhouse is better for germinating than the nearly constant temperatures indoors.

If your Sarracenia germination rates are regularly below 20%, you can also try using GA3-stratification instead of cold treatment before sowing.

Good luck!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait to go for at least that one seed to germinate! Hopefully it makes it.

I have only germinated Sarracenia once, using the method that Exo mentioned, just moss, in a bag. It was even a bag that had once had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich in it. There was a little bit of stray peanut butter left in one corner.

I left it in for probably 5 weeks. I had five of the ten or twelve seeds sprout, so I'm feeling good about that.

For some reason I just wouldn't want dish soap anywhere near my carnivorous plants.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have several pots of S. rosea in the fridge right now.. potted in a 50/50 mix of peat/sand and in a baggie with a little water in the bottom and some LFS on the top...

Should I remove the excess water?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So what does one do with seeds that are received earlier in the year, since they don't like being on the paper towel for so long?

And...is misting the paper towel with Neem a bad thing? :<

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by i<3carnivores View Post
    So what does one do with seeds that are received earlier in the year, since they don't like being on the paper towel for so long?

And...is misting the paper towel with Neem a bad thing? :<
    Seed can sit around for years before being stratified, you shouldn't have any problems just storing until you want to use it. Neem misting works very well IME. Some claim misting seedlings slows down their growth but I've not noticed any adverse effects of misting seeds. There's plenty of 'sprays' you can use in addition to neem but if you've got it handy go for it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i am using a small blob of live sphagnum . chopped lightly. Have been using coffee mill to chop. the small snack sized zipper bags wok. I think the live sphagnum has anti microbial properties that prevents rotting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like to place my seed in a small cup, half full of hot water (about 110F), with a drop of dish washing liquid soap (or Tween 20). I agitate vigorously for a few minutes, then let the seeds soak overnight (about 8-10 hours). Then I strain off the liquid then add a few drops of 3% hydrogen peroxide solution. Finally, I sow the seed on the surface of pots prepared with a topping of milled sphagnum moss. The media is moist and I spread the seed on the surface. Then I place the pots in ziploc bags and into the refrigerator. Two or three months later I just remove the bags from the refrigerator and place them on my grow shelves under fluorescent lights, then watch and wait.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast