Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sarracenia seed germination issues

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Except for the northern species, I get decent germination with no stratification at all. If I'm planting fresh seed in the fall, it's easy to sow the seeds and place them outside & let nature do the stratification for a month or so. If you really want to stick them in the frig, use the live LFS approach (as previously mentioned)

If I'm sowing seeds and can't afford to have moss or fungus (typically for Drosera or Utricularia seeds), I'll nuke soaked LFS (typically in a bowl covered with a plate). I let it cool down (keeping the bowl covered), then spray with fresh Trichoderma solution. I allow this to sit undisturbed for several days before placing in a pot. When I do this, nothing grows on the media for months - except the sprouting seeds. For whatever reason, when I nuked media and did not treat it, I got more weird cultures than ever - very frustrating.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    If I'm planting fresh seed in the fall, it's easy to sow the seeds and place them outside & let nature do the stratification for a month or so.
    I think I'm going to try the nature approach as well this Feb... I've got some S. psittacina, S. minor and S. leucophylla seeds that I'm going to let nature give a whirl...

I do also recall reading about trichoderma in another thread... I'll pick some up before Feb and give it a shot... Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have some S. oreophila seed in a bag of LFS in the fridge right now. Two more weeks and they'll be out. Unfortunately, I put WAY too much LFS in there. A good handful of it. Should have read this thread first! The seeds will probably be lost in the fibers of LFS. Gah. I'll probably just plop the wad of LFS into a pot and hope that enough seeds stayed on top of the lump to germinate in decent numbers.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 01-26-2011 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment

Grow Pitcher Plants! DroseraBug's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never had a problem using the paper towel method unless seed is old. I've also had great success with a similar method to that mentioned by Joseph Clemens. Another cool method is that used by Meadowview using tube fabric as rain protection (explained on Meadowview Biological Station website). I like growing seedlings year around inside and transporting outside with age but iI used the Meadowview method for several batches that are now healthy and mature plants. Try and start seed stratification as near temporally to seed pod dehiscence as possible.
    "And this is what happened, and this is why the caribou and the wolf are one; for the caribou feeds the wolf, but it is the wolf that keeps the caribou strong."
    Farley Mowat

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got 50 mixed sarracenia seeds. It's getting too warm here for me to try them outside so I think I will try Joseph Clemens method and see what happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Umm can I ask how long it takes S. leucophylla to germinate (fresh seeds)? They were in fridge 3 weeks and now they have been under a plant lamp one week. Still no germination but I guess 2 weeks is a minimum time? Media is sphagnum, temperature +25C at day and humid in a clear container.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    4 week stratification is the recommended time period, as any shorter or longer and you will get very low rates of germination (ironic on the longer end since they must experience months of cold in the wild). Also, leuco seems to take a while compared to every other seed I've tried, sometimes 4-6 weeks before any sprouts show.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a small amount of PPM in the water I use to wet the paper towels I put the seeds in. I've had zero mold on the tissue paper since starting this.

Leucos, for me, are the most finicky sarr seedlings. I usually get lower germ and slower growth with leucos no matter what. Thats taking them out of strat anywhere from 4-8 weeks. They always seem to grow the same.

You could try germinating the seeds on LFS to lessen mold growth on germinating seedlings. I think LFS has some sterile properties.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast