Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sarracenia seed germination issues

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sarracenia seed germination issues

Hi there,

So, I've had reasonably good luck with germination Dionaea and Drosera seeds, but I'm having a nightmarish time with Sarracenia...

Here are the approaches I've tried:

1) Seeds in damp paper towel, in ziploc bag in refrigerator for four weeks.
    Result: Mold everywhere
    Conclusion: WAY too much water.

2) Seeds on a paper towel (barely dampened with a VERY dilute sulfer/water solution) in a tupperware in refrigerator for four weeks.
    ~15% of seeds had mold. Remainder sown on peat/perlite under a grow light and sprayed with a sulfur fungicide solution, in a tray of water.
    Result: remains to be seen, but several seeds are growing mold rather than germinating. I'm going to hit it with a neem oil fungicide tomorrow in an act of desperation...
    Conclusion: Poor air circulation? Sulfur's not doing the trick?

3) The last of my seeds sown directly into pot containing moist peat/perlite. Pot sprayed down heavily with neem-oil based fungicide. Excess liquid gently squeezed out of media (though still wet). Whole pot placed in ziploc bag and placed in refrigerator today, to ride out the next month before being moved to growlights.

I have fading hope for trial #2 above, and a feeling of desperate dread for trial #3. (Even with the Neem oil, I'm worried that mold will set in over the next month.) I'm tempted to simply take trial #3 out of its ziploc bag and just put it outside for the winter, but I fear that the utterly frozen conditions of January/February here in Brooklyn will be too harsh for the seeds...?

Any recommendations?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try this.....put seeds in plastic bag with a wet (but not dripping) piece of LFS, when done stratifying simply remove seeds and plant in a pot....they will then germinate.

Also, the third method you did would have worked if you had not used the neem, neem is an oil....and if an oil covers the seeds they won't germinate.
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Commercial paper towels - the kind you find in public rest rooms or gas stations clean your wind shields are less prone to mold for what ever reason.

A pinch of barely damp long fiber sphagnum moss or even peat moss works just as well. It's easy to lose the seeds in these but you can just spread it out on your seed pots when you sow it. You can chop the LFS up first to make it easier all around.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exo View Post
    Try this.....put seeds in plastic bag with a wet (but not dripping) piece of LFS, when done stratifying simply remove seeds and plant in a pot....they will then germinate.
    *blinks* This is what I've done with a few of my indoor adult VFTs during dormancy... Oh man, I wish I had thought to stratify the seeds that way sooner... :P

Also, the third method you did would have worked if you had not used the neem, neem is an oil....and if an oil covers the seeds they won't germinate.
    Ahhh... I see, yeah, that makes perfect sense... *sigh*

Well, let's hope trial 2 pulls through... I certainly won't be spraying neem oil on that pot...

Thanks for the advice...

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never had a problem with putting Sarracenia seeds in the little plastic crafts bags, with purified water, in the fridge.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimscott View Post
    I've never had a problem with putting Sarracenia seeds in the little plastic crafts bags, with purified water, in the fridge.
    Do you typical add a fungicide of any type to prevent mold growing on the seeds during its fridge time? That's typically been my biggest obstacle with Sarr seeds...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use little snack bags and have never had a problem either. And I never use fungicide on seeds.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...355#post963355

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyq View Post
    Do you typical add a fungicide of any type to prevent mold growing on the seeds during its fridge time? That's typically been my biggest obstacle with Sarr seeds...
    Like Fred... never needed to. Never had a problem with mold.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast