What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dormancy in Zone 8 *Sarracenia*

This week for Oregon is going to have nighttime temperatures of 20 degrees F. I put a couple buckets over the rarer more expensive small divisions of Sarracenia. Then I put the tarp over the whole bog of Sarracenia. Is this enough???

Zone 8 is prime Sarracenia growing zone so you should be okay with your precautions, especially since the plants are in a bog.

Forgot to mention that the Reptilian Rose and Leah Wilkerson are newly planted.

Sarracenia are rated as zone 8 plants (10-20F). S. purpurea ssp purpurea are more like zone 5 or 6. If you're that worried dig 'em up and bring them indoors and/or put them in the refrigerator for the winter.

hey bag, i live in the willamette valley. i lost nearly all of my plants last year cuz of the freak deep freeze in december! i didnt insulate them or anything since i'd never had to before. it was a sad spring... how did it treat you?

it just snowed here last night and im thinking of buying a haybale and piling it all on top of and around my plants before its too late. would that work? i have several smaller pots and the bottom of a 55 gallon drum that i call my "mini-bog"

Back