What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Inadvertent Germination Experiment

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Soil media matters, apparently. I had an existing pot with an S. minor seedling. I was then given a boatload of seeds that just got done with cold stratification. I spread the seeds out among the existing pot that had a sand and peat mix, and a fresh pot with LFS. They are both under the same conditions, otherwise - terrarium / artificial lighting. I just noticed that the seeds in the sand and peat mix haven't done anything (yet), while some seeds are germinating in the LFS. Not the clearest pictures in the world, but you get the idea:

100_8614.jpg

100_8611.jpg

I'm theorizing that the seeds need the extra moisture that the LFS provides.

I agree Jim. I still prefer to start mine in LFS but I prefer the live stuff and then I push it through a ¼ inch screen to break it up. It makes transplanting much easier. I believe the live LFS provides a better environment for germination and I always get a better strike rate when I use it (as in the pic below).
sarrsseedlings003800x60.jpg

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I don't have any live LFS that isn't in use. Cool picture of seedlings!

Back