What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Introducing my 12-year old Giant "Red Hummer" Cephalotus

This plant is is indeed a Red Hummer Giant.

This one is easy, there are only 2 regiistered cultivars for Cephalotus. Check here http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cultivars/names.php?name=Cephalotus

If the Ceph is labeled and sold as a Red Hummer Giant then you have an unregistered possible variant. What makes that plant different than any of the typicals I have? I'm not trying to come off rude or mean, I'm just trying to make sure we get the names as correct as possible. Here is some good info on cultivars http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cultivars/cultivarsmain.html.

If you don't already know what makes this one different please ask the seller and find out, you won't get more than a typical value without this info. There is not a Red Hummer Giant Ceph that is widely know and that will hurt you when trading/selling comes around unless you have and answer for the "how is this different from a typical Ceph" question.

I have quite a few unregistered variants and they all have a backstory of how/why they are different. The more info the better with unregistered variants.

Hope this is helpful.

Absolutely beautiful cephs! Well played, sir!

i believe that there was a communication error when the plant transferred hands, something along the lines of "This is one gorgeous red, 'Hummers Giant'."
or something along those lines...

i dont know of any "well known, reputable seller in the CP community" that would give you the incorrect information as far as a cultivar or other status name....
who knows though.
chances are we know who the guy is that you bought the plant from if what you say is true and he is well known in the community, and i have NEVER seen someone call a ceph a red hummer

Welcome!

I just wanted to say...I hope you don't get put-off by this first encounter with the forum. I know, when you start out, sometimes the more advanced growers can come off as patronizing or snobby. When I was first starting out I did not want to believe them when they told me my N. glabrata was mislabeled (later I found out that they were right and it was actually N. singalana). However, when it comes down to it, these people generally know what they are talking about, and there is a great wealth of information you can gain from the CP community.

Your Ceph is lovely, and I hope you will be able to sort out its true heritage!

i agree with raven this place is so awsome a lot of trades i have been in here for over a week and allready recieved several plants, seeds and am waiting for more for little moerthan postage its great. Not only that the information and using it as a resource in finding out answers to problems that accur with growing. None the less that ceph is great. i have been wanting one for so long and they are so pricy. once i see a pic like that it makes it even worse.

Ryan

Ceph-001.jpg
Hooooooooly cow.

I don't think anyone is being patronizing, although I can understand it may feel that way.
We have seen incorrect information flow around here as freely as what is correct,
and when something as obvious as this comes up, a lot of people are going to jump on it.
For all we know a "Red HG" may be a new cultivar that none of us has heard of yet...

However, indeed more likely (and what usually is the case around here) is that someone misunderstood, mis-represented, or otherwise confused what plant is being dealt with.
We do not have the ability to easily check the DNA of a plant to know for certain that it is indeed a specific plant/clone. (And even that may not give us the accurate results we may expect.) We also do not have a certificate program, where every plant that is sold also comes with a certificate of authenticity. (And even those can be counterfeited!) I would hate to see it come to that, so I do agree with people wanting to help others understand things and why they are as they are.

I know it is difficult for people who are new to growing plants (in this case, CP's) to deal with and understand all these things, but there is a reason we can't allow people to name their own plants randomly, or even to assume they are something just because someone said. It does take trust for us to relate in a fashion that is fair and correct, and a bit of mistrust to keep from allowing us and others to be taken advantage of or end up with the wrong plants.

Indeed some plants like the Ceph H.G. don't easily show their differences, and for many people who buy one and grow them in less then ideal conditions, they may never know if the plant they have is a true H.G. or just a typical. Especially if the plant dies off before ever reaching maturity.

Many people have bought Neps from reputable dealers, and don't realize that they were sent the wrong variety until the plant throws out mature pitchers. And this happens! How much more so with a plant that is hard to identify from a typical form. So close are they (H.G.'s and Typicals), that unless they are throwing out huge pitchers, you might never know you have the wrong plant. Hence why it becomes important to know and/or trust the person you are getting the plant from... and even then, like a reputable dealer, errors can and do happen.
(There is another thread out covering the small differences in H.G.'s vs. Typical Cephs.)

And as far as "Red H.G." Cephs is concerned, I would not blindly trust that there is such a variety/clone out there until I spoke with a few people to confirm its existence and the probability that I did indeed get one from the person who claims that is what it is. This is a small world, and a variety cannot stay in hiding for long... and even then it is common that others at least know about it and who has them.

As I stated earlier, it is more common around here (and probable) that someone mis-spoke, misunderstood or mis-represented a plant, than it is for someone to suddenly come out with a plant they bought that is an entirely new variety, that no one else has heard of. Not that it can't happen, but it would be an EXTREMELY rare occurrence.

With age also often (but not always) comes experience. And with experience also often (but not always) comes wisdom. I am sorry if what some people say (or how they say it!) comes across as patronizing, but some of us (NOT ALL) have been thru things like this, that have ended up causing bigger problems, like plants being traded/sold/exchanged that are NOT what the tag says they are! I would rather risk offending someone, then to sit by silently and allow someone to to think that the plant that they have is exactly what they think it is.... IF I KNOW IT ISN'T!
With the trading and exchanging of plants that goes on, we all need to ensure that people get the actual plants they think they are getting. If there is ANY doubt about the plant you have, then have the integrity to let that be known when you trade/give or sell it to someone. Would you want anything less from others?

I don't think anyone here doubts the integrity of Listserv, however it does appear that something isn't adding up. While he may trust the person he got it from, and the effectiveness of the communications they had concerning the variety of the plant he got; those here who have never heard of nor seen any evidence of a "Red H.G." being created, cannot just blindly trust that it is.
There are processes/rules one goes thru to "Name" a plant, which keeps plant breeding and hybrid creation/propagation (as it relates to distributing/selling that plant to others) in an orderly, factual and honest way. One does not just go out and name a plant whatever they want.
http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cultivars/names.php?name=Cephalotus
http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cultivars/cultivarsmain.html

And while some people in this hobby/field understand the need for such processes, and have the experience to know why and how to go about things, there are (sadly) some people who do not.
The real challenge is in determining which is which!

I don't think anyone here is actually being snobby, just careful. (A good example of how misunderstandings take place during normal communication.)

Some people color the way they say things with their emotions, while some color what they hear with past experience. If nothing else, it sure keeps things....colorful! ( :spazz: )

Good luck all!

Last edited:
Back