Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Introducing my 12-year old Giant "Red Hummer" Cephalotus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Listserv.org View Post
    I'm aware that such specimens are the most valuable in the entire hobby. Is it true that some specimens have fetched over $2,000 for mature plants? That is incredible.
    I recall some HG Cephs being bid up on eBay but I seem to recall high prices around $600 or so. An 'Eden Black' went for a high price recently but iirc, the high bidder refused to pay. Has anyone kept track of the highest amounts paid on eBay (or elsewhere) for a Ceph? I don't recall anything close to $2k. Is there a possibility your source is confusing this auction for an Eddy's with a Ceph auction?
    ---------------------------
    It appears there was an eBay auction where a Ceph sold for $1,885 USD but the buyer never paid.

2nd edit - for some reason, the url for the search quit functioning. Here's the 1st thread with the $1885 price. Here's the other thread on price.
    Last edited by RL7836; 11-30-2010 at 07:03 PM. Reason: added links to price threads
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ... But rest assured, he is extremely credible, and there is no issue whatsoever in regards to the labeling of "Red Hummer."

This plant is is indeed a Red Hummer Giant.This plant is an official Cephalotus cultivar clone from a proven bloodline
    Hmm, haven't found any registered cultivar or description of it before, so I'd assume it isn't "an official Ceph cultivar from a proven bloodline", but IMO it doesn't really matter when the plant itself is that beautiful!

Thanks for sharing the pics of your new Ceph.
    <Heli> How are you guys losing your hamatas?
    <Brokken> Heli: The hamburglar.

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have only ever seen $600 for a HG.

I like others was expecting to see a huge plant.
    It is a very nice looking plant, but if 12 years old has been treated pretty bad.

Example:

5-13-2006 I split my Ceph up.

I kept one of the divisions that was in the jiffy pot. Not sure if they are 2 1/2" or 3" pots.

9-6-2007

Today 11-30-2010 and in need of splitting again.

About 5 1/2 years growth.

This is a typical Ceph. My HG has been in desperate need of re-potting for a long time. The soil media has broke down long ago, sunk 1 1/2" - 2" inches deeper into the pot and has only been staying the same unhappy size for a long time.

That stinken thing called work takes up 10+ Hrs a day! Then when I have off the wife wants me to remodel and paint the bathroom!! What gives!
    Well gotta go finish up painting the bathroom so I can get the dryer out of the living room and hooked back up so we can have clean cloths.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice ceph and welcome to the forum listerv!

I wish I could grow cephs as well as you guys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    spectacular growth!
    "Due to the recent economic crisis and budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been shut off. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused."

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This plant is is indeed a Red Hummer Giant.
    This one is easy, there are only 2 regiistered cultivars for Cephalotus. Check here http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cul...ame=Cephalotus

If the Ceph is labeled and sold as a Red Hummer Giant then you have an unregistered possible variant. What makes that plant different than any of the typicals I have? I'm not trying to come off rude or mean, I'm just trying to make sure we get the names as correct as possible. Here is some good info on cultivars http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cul...ivarsmain.html.

If you don't already know what makes this one different please ask the seller and find out, you won't get more than a typical value without this info. There is not a Red Hummer Giant Ceph that is widely know and that will hurt you when trading/selling comes around unless you have and answer for the "how is this different from a typical Ceph" question.

I have quite a few unregistered variants and they all have a backstory of how/why they are different. The more info the better with unregistered variants.

Hope this is helpful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely beautiful cephs! Well played, sir!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i believe that there was a communication error when the plant transferred hands, something along the lines of "This is one gorgeous red, 'Hummers Giant'."
    or something along those lines...

i dont know of any "well known, reputable seller in the CP community" that would give you the incorrect information as far as a cultivar or other status name....
    who knows though.
    chances are we know who the guy is that you bought the plant from if what you say is true and he is well known in the community, and i have NEVER seen someone call a ceph a red hummer

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast