Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Cephalotus follicularis From Seed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As with all seeds/seedlings, the time to maturity will be dependant on environmental factors. The same reason why some peoples adults plants grow faster than others.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    When my non- Cephalotus 'Hummer's Giant' clones get older, i would love to try some cross-pollination. However, I'll want to talk to some who have done this to see what they recommend as an approach.
    Which is exactly the intent of my little scheme. Hopefully the bees will do all my cross pollinating!
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 12-11-2010 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Several years ago I purchased two packets of Cephalotus follicularis seed from "Sundews Australiana". I believe this company was owned and operated by Phill Mann. I believe he is presently operating his hobby CP business as, "Southern Carnivores", since the addresses for both are the same.

The two seed packets had very generous amounts of seed. I planted fifteen seed from one packet and obtained at least a dozen seedlings. I simply sowed the seed on the surface of the media, kept it moist, and within a week the seed began germinating (no stratification), I only pre-soaked the seed in warm tap water for a few hours, immediately before placing each seed semi-equidistant from each other with forceps on the media surface.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 12-11-2010 at 11:11 PM.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got around 20 seeds from a Hummer's Giant, did the stratification thing. 7 of them sprouted and two survived. They are very tiny right now pitchers are maybe 1/16th of an inch.

OK here's something lucky that happened this year. I had a small cobra lily that croaked earlier this past spring when it got too hot one day. I tried to save it and put it in my basement where it was cooler but it was just too late. Since it was planted in live LFS and perlite, I thought I'd wait and see if it would come back or maybe plant something else in the pot eventually. So, several months go by and I wanted to plant something else in it. As I'm removing all the dead cobra leaves I noticed a very very small sprout. I thought it might be sundew or maybe even a nep. It really looked like a nep. After more time went by it turned out to be a Ceph! I have no idea when or how that seed got in there but I'm totally psyched.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    will anyone possible trade this seeds to oversea? i was hoping to try it in Malaysia(this something not relate to this topic), but sadly, i just cannot find it...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    allenphoon,
    You should email Phill Mann and ask him about Cephalotus follicularis seed. I believe he would be a very likely source. The seed I received from him, years ago, was very fresh and germinated easily. His email address is linked here Phill Mann. I mentioned his website in my earlier post.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are some Cephalotus seeds for sale on eBay UK, with worldwide shipping. I am not the seller nor do I have any association with them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a photo of my Cephalotus follicularis seedlings about a month after sowing the seeds -->

Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast