Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cephalotus follicularis From Seed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Cephalotus follicularis From Seed

How difficult are these to grow from seed and would anyone recommend against it and why? Thinking about buying a few packs of seed and would like to know the pros and cons vs buying a plant. Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the idea of growing Cephalotus from seed, but from what I know, it is hard. Mature Cephalotus are hard enough. Problems are fungus, mold, bugs, sun and humidity. I am not saying that it is not impossible to grow it from seed. However growing Cephalotus seed is quite rewarding. How many and how expensive are the seeds? it could be a good idea if the seeds are reasonably priced.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 12-11-2010 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment
    "Due to the recent economic crisis and budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been shut off. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seeds are $6 for 10. I was planning on grabbing a few packs. From what i've read they need 3-4 months cold stratification then can take months to germinate afterwards. Does this sound right? These CPs just really stand out to me for some reason. Love to have a terrarium full of them one day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds a bit cheap. You should try it.

---------- Post added at 01:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:04 AM ----------

Is the quality good?
    "Due to the recent economic crisis and budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been shut off. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably will. Thanks for the response!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are welcome, PM me if you have more questions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dionae View Post
    Seeds are $6 for 10. I was planning on grabbing a few packs. From what i've read they need 3-4 months cold stratification then can take months to germinate afterwards. Does this sound right?
    I get some seeds from my Cephs every year and one year I planted a few that I had left over. I got a bit better than 50% germination iirc. I've given away all but two of the offspring. Some thoughts:

- patience - lots of it. They grow slowly (my growlist has a few early pics)
    - fresh seeds - while I have no direct experience, it 'seems' to be common knowledge that the seeds lose their viability quickly.
    - cold stratification - some do it, some don't. Based on their home environment, I saw no need & just planted them.
    - I would check with this guy for any advice he may have.
    - many sources of seed sell old seed that is no longer viable (although they will never admit it). The guy on eBay who says that 6 month old U. nelumbifolia seed is 'fresh' has no credibility

Best of luck - seed grown plants are a great way to get new variations (ie: 'Eden Black')
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you very much RL7836. The link was very useful as were the tips. I know i'm taking a chance buying ebay seeds but, i'm sure you know, they're hard to find. I'll prob grab a few packs to up my chances. One of the main reasons I want to start from seed is variation so hopefully I can get them germed and find something special. Thanks again!

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast