User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cephalotus is my favorite plant in the world!

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cephalotus is my favorite plant in the world!

There's just something about this plant that I can't describe. It's definitely my favorite CP and favorite plant of all time!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are very beautiful plants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been wanting them for a long time. Too expensive though. I jus a mafraid I will do something wrong.
    "Due to the recent economic crisis and budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been shut off. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sarracenia21 View Post
    I have been wanting them for a long time. Too expensive though. I jus a mafraid I will do something wrong.
    I know some places that will sell them for under $35.

If you can get the growing conditions just right, they will be awesome plants. Just keep the soil damp (not wet), bright light, reasonable amount of humidity, and they'll thrive.
    "I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one."

Wolfn's Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just keep the soil damp (not wet), bright light, reasonable amount of humidity, and they'll thrive.
    I really hope its that easy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dionae View Post
    I really hope its that easy.

I've purchased 4 different Cephalotus over the past two years. The first one was killed from lack of light and over-watering (it slowly grew smaller and smaller before rotting away). The second one I killed from over-watering (I made the soil waterlogged and when I checked it the next day, I touched the crown of the plant and it just liquidated). The third one I killed from lack of light (it grew smaller and smaller before eventually it stopped growing altogether).

I bought a fourth Cephalotus back in early October. I repotted it into a 4-inch pot, the soil is 2 parts perlite, 1 part sand, 1 part peat with a top dressing of sphagnum moss. I have a water-tray but there is no water in it. I keep the soil damp (occasionally top-watering the plant) and I have it growing under a desk lamp. Currently, it's produced 3 mature pitchers since it arrived and it seems to put out a new leaf every couple weeks. The current pitchers and leaves are turning red from the light. In short, this is the most successful I've been growing Cephalotus.

In order to grow Cephalotus, you need the following:
    1) a well-drained soil (perlite is excellent for this)
    2) damp soil (do not have the pot sitting in a tray of standing water)
    3) reasonable humidity (I had a humidity dome for a couple months, but removed it several weeks ago. None of the new leaves or pitchers have shriveled and it's still thriving)
    4) good light (in shade, the plant remains green and is prone to rot. In abundant light, the plant is tough and turns into nice shades of red and purple)
    5) occasional feeding (I once fed a pitcher a large insect and the pitcher died the next day. And since Cephalotus grows slowly, killing off many pitchers will be very harmful to the plant)
    6) Don't mess with it too much (if you constantly repot it, it will go into shock and stop growing and perhaps even start dying. If you keep it in the same pot and don't change the conditions, it will grow and spread and divide)

Here is mine:
    "I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one."

Wolfn's Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, just treat it like a VFT with high humidity and leave the roots alone? I think i'm going to be able to handle a ceph just fine. Thank you for the tips Wolfn!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wolfn, out of curiosity, how often did you water that ceph? Mine is TINY and is growing out of a plug of sheet moss so it's tough to tell how damp the underlying soil is. The tips of the sheet moss turn brown, but I know that doesn't mean the soil underneath is bone dry. Just trying to strike the right balance, because my baby ceph isn't growing, and I know it's got everything to do with the amount of water I'm giving it!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast