Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: My Baby Cephalotus follicularis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you just need to think what is best, somewhat faster growth and the higher risk or death? Or slower growth and a higher chance of survival... Ultimately its your decision
    Exactly. Mine have been in high humidity since i've had them. 70% or better. If I notice a decline...i'll remove the domes. As long as they keep growing well...i wont. I trust the grower who gave me the advice and like i've said, i've seen a big improvement since trying it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mobile View Post
    I wouldn't advise on putting a dome over Cephalotus, unless you have some way of creating air circulation within it, as this will significantly increase the humidity and thus the risk of crown rot. You also have to wean Cephalotus off of high humidity if you later decide that you don't want to grow it under a dome.
    It's a horrible process to acclimate cephs to lower humidity - they really love to drop all but maybe 2 of their pitchers going from 80% or so, down to my 10-30% during the day . Grow all your cephs hard and never look back

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks thez yo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking better and better Dionae i will try to get some pics of my Ceph seedlings soon ok?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks eou! Love to see your pics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to hijack your thread or anything but here is a crappy cellphone shot of one of my typicals growing in low humidity. (I don't have Internet until tomorrow since I just moved)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did have mine in higher humidity as well.. which is why they started developing the "Top Hat" syndrome (as discussed in that thread). I did notice an excellerated growth rate, but a higher amount of pitcher rot. I have since moved them to lower humidity (from 95%LL to 75%HL), with fan circulation, and T5 lighting. They only stalled for about a week (with no die off), then started growing once again. Not as quickly.. but more of a solid, healthy looking growth.

Looking kind of BLAH in the high humidity..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both of you have amazing cephalotus' and i'm not trying to say I know more than you guys about them or that this will work for everyone. Mine are just growing great with the recommendation and if it isn't broken...

Heres a post from the guy i got the idea from and a few of his plants.

yes cheps can be a very weird plant to grow some times , even here in its home land ,some people here still have trouble with them , cephs do not have a dormant time really, its more like a slowing of growth , because where they grow in the wild there is now snow or ice or extreme frosts , its more temperate zone dormancy is not needed to survive any harsh conditions !. my friends here that have exceptional large ceph plants have plastic covers over them ?? and grow them in green houses or plastic houses , one person in particular who grows the larges ceph i have ever seen has some of his best plants growing this way ! so there is some thing in it , weather it will work out side of Australia will need you guys to see !! just make sure it still get ventilation too ok !!
    J
    just come back to put a few pic's up what i did have not got a before and after shot but the new pitchers come up with in 2 weeks

Pics and plants belong to snapperhead51

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast