What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darlingtonia from Lowes-is dormancy worth it this year?

Adam

Sarracenia Collector
Today I got a Darlingtonia from Lowes. A nice one too.
Anyway, I was wondering if it's worth the effort to put it into 2 months dormancy or if it can skip a year.
I would have to wait for the ground to thaw if I were to put it outside.
Thanks,
Adam

You might consider keeping it on a cold windowsill if you have one available.
~Joe

I WOULD keep it on the windowsill, except even though our windowsill gets light, it is not enough light. Even capensis are unhappy there, but for some reason neps grow for me.
In my basement, where the light is, it usually stays around 0 degrees during the day in winter. Not sure of the night temperature.

Liz: I will post another thread. I actually partially cut open two of the pitchers to photograph the traps-something I have NEVER seen a pic of...

I was wondering the same thing about my Lowes bought S. Purpurea. I decided not to let it go dormant. It was such a small plant I figured it wouldn't hurt it. Its really putting out some pitchers now and i'm glad I kept her growing.

I've been buying so many plants so late in the season i'm skipping dormancy on a few things.

I've been buying so many plants so late in the season i'm skipping dormancy on a few things.

Yeah, that's the thing. I haven't seen a Darlingtonia in over 2 years at Lowes, and when I do, it's winter! I guess I'll try to keep mine growing, but it definately is getting dormancy next year.

Yeah, that's the thing. I haven't seen a Darlingtonia in over 2 years at Lowes, and when I do, it's winter! I guess I'll try to keep mine growing, but it definately is getting dormancy next year.

Thats what my plan is too. Everything that doesn't get dormancy this year will def get it next year. I just can't trust sticking them in 20F weather and I really don't have a good way to ease them into it. Good luck!

How many did they have left? I know a certain young lady in FLA that would love a couple of them.....

LOL Jim
2 Small cube ones

I put my large new Darlingtonia outside in the frozen weather. About 28 degrees, maybe 26 F? The top layer of moss was frozen but beneath that it was damp. I forgot about this until an hour ago. I will have to see how it's doing tomorrow in the daylight. :|

I'm wondering how much dormancy the plant needs...

I never see them at my Lowes. Lucky stiffs.....

I never see them at my Lowes. Lucky stiffs.....

You'll have to ask for them ime. They're always hidden away on some bottom shelf that you'd never see just looking around. I just called all the Lowes around me and asked before going and got them to give me an inventory of what plants they had:). Seems not too many people buy them around here because I always have a nice selection to choose from.

Hey I just got one of them today and was gonna log on and ask this same question !

After looking all spring & summer at the only Lowes around here I've found one the weekend before Xmas - along with a tiny Nep for my cousin's first CP terrarium that I'm building for her. They only had one "Cobra Lily" death cube or I'd have bought a bunch. I've been looking for this plant for a long time, seeds seem common but live plants not so much.

Here's mine which is putting up several new pitchers so I thought I could keep it under the T5s until spring and then put it outside to start experiencing seasons.

darlingtonia.jpg

So is pure LFS ok or should it be potted in something else? I really DO NOT like using peat because most plants I put in peat based mixes die so what else is good for these?

Last edited:
Hmm... my peat mix works fine...
I actually think underneath the spghnum, there is some peat.
Overnight, the 3 tallest pitchers dried up, but the smaller ones are still viable. Odd...

I am so jealous of you guys, I just called my local lowe's and they said they won't have any cp until spring.:(

I think peat just needs more additive to open it up when I use it in terrariums. If I don't use a lot of peat in a mix I'm OK but seems things live longer for me in more open/airy subtrates like LFS & bark, aquatic plant soil, etc.

Is yours in the box still? I took mine out to pull off that plastic brace thing and water it but then I put it back in to keep the humidity up on it. My house is like 20% RH so only succulents seem to do well outside a terrarium. I do have some Ficus trees as houseplants but they are pretty hardy compared to CPs or anything.

I will probably keep it in the cube for a few days near the lights and then put it in a covered terrarium under the lights. Mine looks like it is making 3 new pitchers in various stages of development so I figured I would keep it growing over winter since it doesn't appear to be heading towards dormancy.

I put my Cobra Plant in a soil mix of one part peat moss one part perlite and one part orchid mix.
And yeah my lowes always put the plants in a hiding place for some reason? So yeah i bought two from my Lowe's and i wish my Lowe's would carry Neps. So far my Lowe's have carried Cobras, Venus flytraps, Sundews, Pitcher plants, Butterworts and so far that's about it.

Last edited:
Swords - use APS or hydroton to open up the peat/LFS. If you can provide it, something like lava rock or hydroton, with APS or perlite to fill the gaps, is ideal for a humid environment where the soil temperatures never get too high and there's no real chance of drying out. Live Sphagnum growing on the upper layer will help a lot. Basically they should have a good chance in any pot that Sphagnum finds acceptable.
~Joe

Thanks Joe, I can do that Hydroton & APS mix but I think I'll put in some extra LFS throughout too just so it doesn't accidentally get too dry if I miss watering it. But a fired clay substrate should definitely stay cooler than peat. Can Darlingtonias be on a shallow water tray like Sarrs and Dews or should it get good drainage at all times like a HL Nep?

Acctual swords Darlingtons need to be in between the good drainage and the shallow tray it should be in a 1/4 of water or less or water it everyday in the Summer sometimes two times a day and here is how you take care of a Cobra Plant (Darlington Californica).
USDA Zone of Native Habitat: Zone 8
Darlingtonia occurs naturally in zone 8 where temperatures in winter can sometimes reach as low as 10°F (-12°C) for brief periods of time. In cultivation you should always follow proper winter care when growing this species in zones 8 or colder.

WHERE TO GROW
Darlingtonia grows best outdoors as a container or potted plant. It makes an excellent addition to any sunny deck or patio. You may also grow it in a pond or fountain with flowing water, but keep the crown of the plant above water. Because of its specific soil requirements, avoid planting it directly into the ground, unless you have created a specific type of bog garden.

SUNLIGHT
recommendations on sunlight are based the variety of Darlingtonia that you’re growing, as well as the soil and watering system. If you’re growing the mountain variety, you can give your plant full to partial sun, even on warm summer days. If you’re growing the coastal variety, provide only partial sun and shade your plant from the scorching afternoon sun.

Many Darlingtonia growing in the mountains are accustomed to full sun.

HEAT TOLERENCE
The mountain variety is quite tolerant of the summer heat. It originates from areas where the average daytime highs are 90°F during July and August. However, it’s essential that you provide cool nights (below 65°F). Otherwise, constantly warm temperatures both day and night will exhaust the plant.

The coastal variety is less tolerant of the summer heat. It originates from areas where the average daytime highs are 67°F during July and August. The plant will tolerate occasional spikes into the 90s, but it needs very cool nights to recover properly. Otherwise, it will succumb to heat exhaustion.

With either variety, Darlingtonia requires cool nights. If your nights are fairly warm (above 75°F), your plant might not grow as large or reach its full potential. In extremely prolonged warm conditions, the plant may collapse suddenly.

WATER
Soil aeration is extremely important for this plant. For this reason, highly recommend watering your plant daily rather than setting it in standing water, like you would for Sarracenia. Have found that more plants thrived with daily watering than those that were kept in standing water. Daily watering mimics what the Darlingtonia experiences in the wild with a constant slow seepage of water washing over its roots.

On very warm summer days, recommend watering your plant in the morning and in the evening. If you have trouble remembering to water your plant daily, consider investing in a faucet timer and a drip system.

If daily watering is simply not feasible, then use the tray method and keep your plant in very small amounts of water. However, you may need to adjust the soil mix that recommend below so that the soil can wick up water to the roots.

Use relatively pure water for optimal leaf growth. The water should contain no more than 50 parts per million of dissolved minerals. With the mountain variety, you can use water with mineral levels as high as 150 parts per million. However, you will have better leaf growth if the mineral levels were much lower.

SOIL
As mentioned before, soil aeration is extremely important. For this reason, avoid using the standard carnivorous plant mix. This mix retains too much moisture and overheats very readily on hot sunny days. Also avoid using dried sphagnum moss as the soil base. It compacts too much and overheats very readily.

The recommended soil mix contains:

•1 part peat moss
•1-2 parts perlite (or pumice)
•1 part orchid bark
This soil mix outperformed other soil mixes we've tried. It retains moisture, but allows for maximum aeration. It also allows water to evaporate quickly, so it keeps the soil cool.

When making this mix, start with 1 part perlite. When moistened, the soil should fall apart after you squeeze it in your hand. If it retains it shape after you squeeze it, add more perlite to the mix until it falls apart.

As a word of caution, this soil mix dries out very quickly, so you will need to water your plant daily on warm dry days. If you plan to use the tray method to water your plant, use only equal parts of each soil ingredient listed above.

Never use potting soil or fertilizer. Potting soil and fertilizer will kill your plant.

POTS
The ideal pot for a Darlingtonia is short and wide. Darlingtonia has very short thin roots, so the pot doesn’t have to be tall. However, because the soil needs maximum aeration, the pot should be wide.

In experiments, discovered that cat litter pans worked very well. Used BRAND NEW pans from a local discount store. Along the sides of the pan, drilled several holes about ½ inch from the bottom. Technically there will be standing water at the bottom of the pan, but because the surface are is much larger, water will evaporate much quicker and keep the soil cool. grow the majority of mother plants in these pans.

If cat litter pans are too unsightly, consider using large garden bowls.

WINTER CARE
As winter approaches, your Darlingtonia will slow down in growth and eventually stop growing. It’ll retain its leaves throughout the winter months, but the leaves will turn brown around the edges. This is perfectly normal. Pitcher plants require 3-4 months of winter dormancy triggered by cold temperatures (below 50°F or 10°C) and shorter daylight hours.

While dormant let your plant sit in a small amount of standing water to prevent its soil from drying out.

Don’t worry about overnight temperature dips as low as 20°F (-7°). While dormant, your plant can certainly tolerate overnight frosts with minimal winter protection.

However, plants are very susceptible to freeze damage when grown in containers. You will need to protect your pitcher plant when the temperature falls below 20°F (-7°C) or whenever there is a combination of freezing temperatures and wind. Both types of winter conditions can certainly cause serious frost burn. To prevent frost burn, cover it with black plastic or a tarp, or move it into an unheated garage or shed.

As soon as the freeze is over and the temperature climbs above 35°F (2° C), uncover your plant and allow it to continue its dormancy outdoors.

If you live an area where the temperature routinely goes below 32°F (0°C) for more than a week at a time, such as in zones 7 or less, you will need to winterize your container plants. Container plants can certainly tolerate brief freezes. But with prolonged freezes, your plants are at risk for frost burn.

EARLY SPRING CARE
When the temperature slowly creeps up and daylight hours become longer, your plants will gradually emerge from dormancy. Clip off only those leaves that have turned brown or have excessive brown spots. Unlike its Sarracenia cousins whose leaves may last for only a season, Darlingtonia leaves will normally last for 18 months. Look for flowers in mid spring.

REPOTTING
If your Darlingtonia is doing well, you won’t need to repot every spring. Unlike other carnivorous plants, Darlingtonia doesn’t mind being root bound. Just make sure that the soil provides optimal aeration and drainage. However, if you notice that the orchid bark is breaking down, change the soil.

Repot your plant in March and April, right before it comes out of dormancy. Avoid repotting it during the growing season.

INDOOR CARE
Because Darlingtonia require a lot of sunlight during the growing season and cold temperatures for winter dormancy, they do not grow well indoors, especially in terrariums. They grow best outdoors as container plants or in bog gardens.

So that's about it hope it will help anyone who needs help with there Cobra's or there new Cobra's!

By Sarracnia Northwest.

Last edited:
Back