Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: A Cephalotus Collection fit for a King! [warning: picture heavy]

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your in the US, you 99.999999% don't have an Eden.
    aaaand uhhh AFIK Eden Black is not even available in the US....if it is, it is in very few, limited collections and would not be that size as the ones that have been released over the last year or so have been very small plants, and those were in europe where the source lives...
    I have a real Eden Black because my source has been friends with Stephen Morley for the past 15 years and got the plants directly from him. Yes, I own one of the only Eden Black plants in the US.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even if it is the real Eden Black, taking in something that rare with as little experience you have, is incredible foolish and could end very very badly...
    I see no evidence of this being the real Eden Black just because you have a friend who grows cephs and apprently knows Stephen Morley,
    Only a few people in the US i can think of would be high enough up there to receive an Eden Black in the US, and then turn around and sell it for next to no $ to an amateur grower...
    Sounds like you or your friend is getting played, likely yourself.
    with the coloration exhibited on the supposed Eden Black, i wouldnt be surprised if it is a scam at all....
    i can get better coloration on my typical cephalotus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i also was looking at pictures of eden black on cpphotofinder and i noticed a slight difference in the two side ribs on your plant compared to the real eden black. you can keep convincing your self that you have it, just like you said you had "red hummers giant". but in the long run you will be doing other people harm by trading them "fake" cephs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and then suddenly cephalotus will be just as confusing as flytrap cultivars...granted they are already confusing
    Obviously if your friend is claiming that "Golden Clumping" is some undiscovered form, clearly it has been discovered if its mature and growing and has been propagated out...
    its not a form, its a growth pattern to a single species
    You have been played
    What proof have you seen from this guy that he is friends with Stephen Morley?
    who is this friend of yours anyway? i can think of a few big cephalotus hobbiest/propagators out there in the community that arent very public
    Keeping them "private" only makes it seem even more sketchy than it already is.
    Chances are 90% of us who are pretty into the cultivation of Cephalotus, have heard the name.

As i have stated, and another has stated,
    there are several more qualified people that could grow out this Eden Black over you.
    I have been trying to get Cephalotus down for a pretty good time now, and finally have it down, however i would not even think of blowing my money on such a rare plant until i knew i could grow it for sure, since cephalotus will react differently even if put in similar conditions to the previous grower. thats just how they are

didnt it occur to you that maybe you should have fixed your problem with your first cephalotus before you jumped in and spent more money on even more rare plants? if thats what they truly are, and are not just random clones of typical cephalotus that exhibit different characteristics?

---------- Post added at 07:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:45 PM ----------

To settle this little debate, i have emailed Stephen on the subject...
    Maybe he will chime in and confirm this?
    if he has not sent any to the US, we can safely say this is all made up and you got hit with the scam stick...

"Oh, now he's a philosophizer" Baylorguy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you guys need to just let listserv be. It's his money. Besides, if you are "99.999999%" it is not Eden Black, why the fuss? It's his money, someone sold it to him, end of story. Sometimes it seems this whole business of telling novice growers that Cephs are difficult to cultivate is some sort of huge conspiracy. There is nothing to growing them... in fact, I just water mine and leave it alone.

What he decides to do with it is his business... not the forums.

Listserv, if you have any questions shoot me a PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it is the forums business if this plant gets leaked out as an Eden Black and its not, people will end up spending or trading away things that they shouldnt have to for more than a typical plant.

"Oh, now he's a philosophizer" Baylorguy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKristoff View Post
    it is the forums business if this plant gets leaked out as an Eden Black and its not, people will end up spending or trading away things that they shouldnt have to for more than a typical plant.
    Agreed, but it doesn't seem that is the case. I would give him the benefit of the doubt. What red flags have presented themselves? There is nothing malicious about the posts.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny how this reminds me of a "Timmy" situation!
    It is hard to even take this sort of thing seriously.

In view of recent, related events, this doesn't merit a legitimate response;
    and apparently nor does providing advice as requested on previous posts. There seems to be no point in it any longer.

This situation is only one of many examples of how things have really deteriorated here lately.

It is sad really, as this was once a very nice place to share and associate with other experienced and knowledgeable growers. At least that used to be part of the cross-section of active members here. The type of members who I think added a lot to this place.

Maybe it is just me, but lately this feels more like the kids table at Thanksgiving ,
    than it does a forum of both new, and experienced, dedicated growers.

It is things like this that have happened lately, that make me think my opinions, advice and knowledge are no longer needed here (if they ever were). I certainly appreciated that of others, and valued their input in time past. But what I see going on here, well, I just don't understand it. Nor is it what I came here for.

PS: SirK, I think you are wasting your understanding on those who either don't understand at all, or don't care.

Addition: You can tell some "noobies" by their views and understanding, which obviously come from a lack of experience. While some will listen to the reasoning of more experienced growers (to their own benefit) others will not. Back when I was new to growing, "noobies" automatically respected those who had been growing for a long time. We could see and value their advice and wisdom, and while on occasion there would be a difference of opinion, no one was arrogant or rude toward others. Funny as I remember, most of the differences of opinion, in time usually proved what the experienced grower was saying all along.
    But there are always new ways and new methods, which is something that even the good experienced "old timers" realized, and it always amazed me that for as much as they knew, they were also always open to learning more and involved in experimenting to try something different.
    The problems here in this faceless forum, is that for new growers it is near impossible to know who has real wisdom and experience, and who is just repeating others advice or talking as if they themselves have the knowledge and experience they claim to. Those of us with experience will often be able to judge, merely by listening to what someone says! [And if I ever acquired one of these Cephs, I would NOT be able to call it by its "name", as I know I couldn't trust it as being true. Nor would I trade it as such, however I would trade it including its history, which would be appropriate under the circumstances. A new grower who comes out immediately with an unheard of variety *Red Hummer* cannot be just given the "benefit of the doubt", nor in view of the circumstances, could his plants now be assumed to be what they are claimed to be. An experienced grower would never be that irresponsible! At least not any growers who I have learned from or have earned my trust.]
    (And growing plants for a year or two will not usually give someone a well rounded knowledge of how to do all the basics, but then you can't really measure knowledge and experience by how long someone has been growing plants. I know people who have grown for 5 years, but still never transplanted a plant nor had much experience starting seeds or dividing plants.) Wisdom doesn't always come with age and experience.

As I keep telling people here, everyone has an opinion! Even people who don't know what they are talking about!

(This all reminds me of the humorous statement I once heard, and I bring it up in jest: Those of you who think you know everything, are annoying those who do!) Good luck all, you are going to need it!

If nothing else, I am amazed and saddened at the attitude some noobies have here. They must not have grown up receiving much respect (or perhaps received way, way too much that was undeserved), as they certainly don't show any to others. Not something any of us would dare to ever do years ago. It does say a lot about a person, however! And again, another example of what I was mentioning earlier.
    Last edited by GrowinOld; 12-30-2010 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Additional Views
    Experience is the best teacher. At least it used to be.
    But then, common sense isn't so common anymore, is it.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=113866

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast