Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: A Cephalotus Collection fit for a King! [warning: picture heavy]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's his money, someone sold it to him, end of story.
    I agree. He killed a ceph...so what? Lots of people say they kill their first one. I haven't seen him say he plans to trade it or sell it either. Its amazing how many negative comments are in this thread. I don't see the problem with helping the guy. He killed his first ceph...now he wants to try again. I plan on buying a few cephs just in case I kill one.

If he wanted it and paid for it what diff does it make? his cephs are beautiful imo.

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LoL, it seems like people on here have caught the jealousy bug. I'm not going to mention any names, lol. It might surprise everyone to know that I purchased all of these plants at exactly the same time. These aren't "new additions" in case anyone is wondering.

No, my "dying" ceph is doing just fine. See here for updated pics: http://terraforums.com/forums/showth...=125274&page=3 It's coming back pretty strongly, and thanks to the wonderful advice that I received here (including SirKristoff ), it's recovering, and you can already see the new green growth coming out from each of the crowns. I thank everyone in the community that has given me advice on this rather troubling issue.

Yes, I own a real Eden Black. I've been getting flooded with PMs about who my source is-- and I'm not going to talk!

Anyway, enjoy the photos, and I will most definitely keep everyone updated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For one, a 15 watt aquarium tube will not grow all those plants. They will surely perish if that's all the light you're giving...especially since you're not reflecting it.

I hope you have adjusted this.
    Last edited by SDCPs; 12-29-2010 at 11:41 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dionae View Post
    I agree. He killed a ceph...so what? Lots of people say they kill their first one. I haven't seen him say he plans to trade it or sell it either. Its amazing how many negative comments are in this thread. I don't see the problem with helping the guy. He killed his first ceph...now he wants to try again. I plan on buying a few cephs just in case I kill one.

If he wanted it and paid for it what diff does it make? his cephs are beautiful imo.
    you need to understand that it wasnt just a ceph....from what he said, it was quite an old ceph, at least 12 years old. the amount of care and attention that plant received must have been amazing. at least amongst plant growers, there is some sentimental value amongst friends who receive plants from others who may have passed on. it is quite a shame if such a plant died due to neglect or poor care. this isnt some easily accessible plant that you can find at lowes. if this we were talking about a capensis there wouldnt such a fuss.

i dont even think that there would be even a fuss if he bought more typical cephs. however, he's acquired some very VERY hard ceph cultivars to acquire + some potential valuable cultivars but yet hasnt demonstrated that he's ready to handle such plants. such a haphazard approach most likely may lead to the death of these plants, which would be a sad turn of events for EVERYBODY in the CP community because that means the opportunity for that plant to grow and be shared with others is lost, or would take an even longer time to acquire.

i personally, am more than willing to help listserv out with his ceph endeavors---if we can ensure that his plants survive, we can increase our chances of having these beautiful plants in circulation amongst the community.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amphirion View Post
    you need to understand that it wasnt just a ceph....from what he said, it was quite an old ceph, at least 12 years old. the amount of care and attention that plant received must have been amazing. at least amongst plant growers, there is some sentimental value amongst friends who receive plants from others who may have passed on. it is quite a shame if such a plant died due to neglect or poor care. this isnt some easily accessible plant that you can find at lowes. if this we were talking about a capensis there wouldnt such a fuss.

i dont even think that there would be even a fuss if he bought more typical cephs. however, he's acquired some very VERY hard ceph cultivars to acquire + some potential valuable cultivars but yet hasnt demonstrated that he's ready to handle such plants. such a haphazard approach most likely may lead to the death of these plants, which would be a sad turn of events for EVERYBODY in the CP community because that means the opportunity for that plant to grow and be shared with others is lost, or would take an even longer time to acquire.

i personally, am more than willing to help listserv out with his ceph endeavors---if we can ensure that his plants survive, we can increase our chances of having these beautiful plants in circulation amongst the community.
    I see what you're saying but its all about what you want. Every plant i've wanted...I bought it and so far every single one is still alive and doing good. LS doesn't look like he just doesn't care about his cephs. He seems very proud of them and actually started a whole thread to help save one. You can't tell someone what plants to like, not implying you are.

Almost 3 months into collecting CPs and mainly all I want is cephs. I plan on buying a Hummers Giant just as soon as I can find one. Newbie with a rare plant. If it lives i'll share it . if not i'll start a "I Killed My Hummers Giant" thread and get scolded.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have been following/commenting in List's threads/posts you would understand the reason people here are concerned about the real possiblity of mis-Id'd or dieing plants.

Step back and think about it, some unknown new person comes to the forums out of the blue talking about making money on Ceph's and he already has an Eden and 2 new unheard of clones Really Would you like to buy a bridge too? The Eden is easy enough to verify, people are taking care of that and in a week or so we will have a better answer. The other 2 the Golden and Red Hummer's well yea...anyone can make up a clone and name it without any real differences in the plants. I have a Ceph now that was divided off a typical that is golden in color, its just that plants lighting. Its not a varient.

My concern is that List will as most have that visit these forums get the advice he needs and his plants will start growing and dividing. Then they will get sold/traded away named incorrectly, his is a very bad thing for the hobby. If we, as a CP community, can "help" him get his plants named correctly that would be great and is my goal in posting. On the other side of things, if he really does have 2 clones we should help him identify these so they can become "know" clones and thus help reproduce those clones to help prevent loss. Also, if we believe he has incorrectly labeled plants we need to address this in every thread so we don't spread mis-information that is potentally harmful to the hobby as a whole. We did the same thing in the Utric. quelchii/tricolor mess, stopping the spread of a mis-Id'd plant is very important.

"Oh, now he's a philosophizer" Baylorguy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Couldn't agree more RSS. I simply jumped in due to the tone several were using in "Helping" List out. List seems to be really passionate about growing Cephs, but some were treating him as if he was intentionally trying to make a big, beautiful mess out of the naming conventions.

And honestly... I'll never understand why people think a Ceph is so hard to care for. A very generous grower in my somewhat newbie days sent me a Hummers Giant. I have done NOTHING special for this plant... I have grown it exactly as I do my mexican pings and it is thriving and has filled up the 5 inch pot it came in and now has more growth points than I know what to do with. I think there is an allure that has been created in part because people give the impression a Ceph is the "big time" and is difficult to grow. I find it the opposite

Quote Originally Posted by RSS View Post
    If you have been following/commenting in List's threads/posts you would understand the reason people here are concerned about the real possiblity of mis-Id'd or dieing plants.

Step back and think about it, some unknown new person comes to the forums out of the blue talking about making money on Ceph's and he already has an Eden and 2 new unheard of clones Really Would you like to buy a bridge too? The Eden is easy enough to verify, people are taking care of that and in a week or so we will have a better answer. The other 2 the Golden and Red Hummer's well yea...anyone can make up a clone and name it without any real differences in the plants. I have a Ceph now that was divided off a typical that is golden in color, its just that plants lighting. Its not a varient.

My concern is that List will as most have that visit these forums get the advice he needs and his plants will start growing and dividing. Then they will get sold/traded away named incorrectly, his is a very bad thing for the hobby. If we, as a CP community, can "help" him get his plants named correctly that would be great and is my goal in posting. On the other side of things, if he really does have 2 clones we should help him identify these so they can become "know" clones and thus help reproduce those clones to help prevent loss. Also, if we believe he has incorrectly labeled plants we need to address this in every thread so we don't spread mis-information that is potentally harmful to the hobby as a whole. We did the same thing in the Utric. quelchii/tricolor mess, stopping the spread of a mis-Id'd plant is very important.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got my direct answer from the man himself this morning, i guess this proves it right here.
    Listserv, hate to bust your pair, but you got scammed man

[QUOTE]Hi Kris
    I have not sent any overseas to date. Only about 20 people have received the plant direct from me, if you know who the person is he claims to have received it from (with phytosanitary?) I can confirm whether or not they got a plant from me, I have a database. If they won't confirm the source then we can't confirm whether it is likely or not.

I have been sending out plants for a few years now so we are getting to the stage where there may be some small plants available from other growers. Of course, with such a rare plant, to be sure of the parentage you would have to know the lineage, ie who got it from who...

A grower in Cornwall, England (Julie Jones) claims to have sent a plant to a grower in Malaysia (illegally) from an eBay sale earlier this year. Julie has been banned from both CPUK forums for illegal trading, so we are not sure if she is to be trusted as several growers have reported suspicions of trading fraud regarding swaps with her...

Have you got a link to the thread?
    best wishes
    Stephen

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast