What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Cephalotus Collection fit for a King! [warning: picture heavy]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed I know all about ebb & flow,
and my pointing out this being the "ebb" part of the cycle doesn't mean I think it permanent,
just sad to see it take place.

As I mentioned earlier, this doesn't merit a legitimate response.
Some people aren't capable of taking things seriously, for whatever reason,
so I don't understand why people continue to bother trying when they see that in someone.

If we could see the people we are talking to, much of this would be avoided.
There are people I meet at a gathering who I know right off the bat, that I am not going to be comfortable associating with (for various reasons that I won't go into here), so for the rest of the gathering,
I do not talk to them much or hang around with them. Most others don't either for similar reasons, while some do! It is all a part of the dynamics of relating that the internet forum restricts by its very nature.
I understand how frustrating this is and aggravating too, but giving more attention to this and continuing to play this game is no way to stop it! Turn your attention elsewhere and let this drop. It is about getting attention, and the more you give it the more it thrives.
Why do you need a moderator to stop what you already can?

Just my 2 cents again on where this has finally come.
Have fun kids!

And Tamlin, Nice to see you! I see you brought logic to this subject again (right before I was gonna post!), but I think it won't be understood by many, or at least by those who need it! I don't know why it is so hard to understand, but I think some people don't care. Indeed this appears to be a problem with some people, and it seems we will need to really trust who we buy/trade with.

My last word on the subject. Whether the cultivar is genuine or not has very little effect on me, as I live in the UK, so am very unlikely to get caught up in buying one of the offspring. I think that growers that side of the Atlantic should care though. Given the value of 'Eden Black' I would make an assumption that an offspring from the plant in this post will eventually make it onto eBay or traded in some way, if the plant survives. Whilst you might not buy it yourself, someone who you trust might end up with it in their collection! Ultimately, people could end up paying a lot of money for a 'cultivar' that might not be what it is claimed to be. Caveat emptor people.

HAPPY HOGMANAY

Carl

well I have not been on here for a few years now, but though I had to correct a few things

My source has been friends with Morley for the past 15 years and obtained his stock plants from him, and that's all that matters to me. I'm now in possession of one of said stock plants.

I have never distributed "stock plants". What growers get from me (for "free", with a donation of their choice to charity) is just a rooted leaf, which would take many years to get to the size of the plant you have pictured. Only one person has got any plant of reasonable size, which they then sold recently as they disbanded their collection, to another UK grower.

Just to give people a little bit of background about Eden Black: it's been around for years, if not decades.
I have only been distributing plants for a few years, for many years there was only one plant and this was grown in low light so the potential was not realised. Only 3 UK based (male) growers have a plant they got from me. I have not known any of these 3 people for anything like 15 years.

However, what concerns me more than your claim to grow a specific clone is that you have imported a plant from the UK. Your photo shows a well established plant in a pot, so presumably you imported it with soil? In a pot? I did not think your import regulations permitted that (assuming you are in the US?)? Was it imported with Aphis permits and phytosanitary certificates? I think your Dept of Agriculture would be most interested to know your response.

FYI
Listserv's age that is listed on his profile
just went from 24 to 12!

Not to worry anymore I think,
it seems to me people have been played is all.
It is too bad that a lot of good growers and decent people were affected by this childish stunt.

troll.jpg

I really don't understand what happens in a person's life to make them become a manipulative troll,
but then, I really don't want to find out! :-O

I hope we can now go back to something a bit more normal, and reasonable.

Actually he told me his age was 13, I must have typed in the wrong year... going with his birthday, so I'll correct that. Thank you to gardenofeden for coming in and letting us know the potential of this exact clone to have been sold to listserv.org. I think they main concern through this whole thing is naming, hopefully he will do some more questioning from his source, and decide to not call this plant 'Eden Black'. That's about all we can do here.
Andrew

I feel the need to post one more thing, of the research I did, (and anyone could have found it on their own) I found only a few things online in regard to him, but on the majority of them I found this as his signature:
loved by few, hated by most, envied by all
From that, and what I've seen on this forum it seems to me that it all really is a game. But even though- rule number one is always in effect!! BE NICE! oh, and HAVE FUN! =)

No need for anymore random comments here. Thanks.

Last edited:
I haven't been on the forums in a couple of days, and from the looks of it, in the absence of defending my stance, it's turned into a total poopshow. I'm not going to be spending too much time trying to convince the naysayers because it's pretty obvious that I have an absolutely stunning collection, and people are simply jealous of that fact and feeding each others' hurt egos. In the extremely short period of time since I've published my photos to the community, my threads have consistently received the lion's share of the attention in the pitcher plant forum.

It greatly amuses me that people have actually gone out of their way to contact Stephen Morley himself! LOL As I said earlier, I really couldn't give a sundew's speck about Stephen Morley's stamp of approval. I see all of this as merely a thinly-veiled attempt to extract the name of my source. I'm sure if I posted said source, they would be instantly overwhelmed by all of the jealous naysayers in this thread that have not only tried to discredit my Eden Black specimen, but my entire collection. I'm perfectly aware that the vast majority of the Cephalotus plants out there are tiny specimens that you wouldn't be able to fit two cat-turds on, and for someone new to the hobby to be able to obtain tier-1 mature specimens is a spectacle to behold. As such, this forum has simply turned the finger back on me in an attempt to discredit my achievements. It's pretty pathetic, and it's just simply not going to work.

The episode of my Eden Black specimen simply illustrates the fact that even cultivar-registrants cannot ascertain the exact origin of plants without taking a DNA sample of said specimens. To Stephen: I guess that the only way I could have possibly received one of your plants is through one of your direct points of contact, right? How are you so certain that this is in fact not the case? Do you have any proof that none of your 3 said contacts could have managed to sell plants overseas or obtained one of your stock plants many years ago? I simply fail to see the flawed logic here--but furthermore, I simply don't care. It is completely out of my jurisdiction to manage other people's business relationships. I trust the source of my plants, and I know for a fact that he obtained stock plants from you; one of which I now own in my personal collection. Short from obtaining a DNA sample of my specimen, I will simply say that it COMPLETELY matches the "official" cultivar description you have submitted to the ICPS and for all intents and purposes, if and when I do decide to part with the plant, I will absolutely be selling it as an "Eden Black" specimen and will be providing the buyer with all of the requisite information.

I will say that like all politicians, people will tend to say one thing to the public, and take a completely different course of action in the private eye. I cannot say how many people have emailed me privately offering to purchase my plants, or at least inquire about the prospect of doing so. These are the same people that have been consistently bashing me in the forums since day 1, and denouncing every attempt I've made to allow the community to enjoy the photos I've taken of my collection. It's pretty childish honestly, and it's a great shame that the world's greatest CP community is nothing more than a bunch of children when they see plants that are superior to their own... pathetic.

loved by few, hated by most, envied by all
You must have me confused with someone else. I have never uttered those words, and have no idea what that is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well you could always supply Stephan Morley in private communication with information on your source under the stipulation that he not reveal the source.

Then Stephan could confirm the source with out revealing it. Of course a negative could just mean the named source for some reason does not wish it to be known that he/she has distributed plants overseas.

Confirmation would certainly silence much of the controversy but if you truly don't give a rat's *** then I'll remind the other forum members that the ignore function is just a few mouse-clicks away.

From that, and what I've seen on this forum it seems to me that it all really is a game.
I totally agree and think that the best course of action is to not play the 'game' and ignore his posts.

for someone new to the hobby to be able to obtain tier-1 mature specimens is a spectacle to behold. As such, this forum has simply turned the finger back on me in an attempt to discredit my achievements.

*standing applause*
Congratulations, you successfully achieved buying something.
Your arrogance is staggering - this kind of grandstanding wouldn't be tolerated even on the gaming forums I frequent.
~Joe

It's turned into a total s***show.
Woah, where are the censors on there?! Censored it myself.
It greatly amuses me that people have actually gone out of their way to contact Stephen Morley himself! LOL As I said earlier, I really couldn't give a sundew's speck about Stephen Morley's stamp of approval. I see all of this as merely a thinly-veiled attempt to extract the name of my source.
Because the source is more than likely scamming you, if you would reveal the source, all this "bashing" could be over.
I'm sure if I posted said source, they would be instantly overwhelmed by all of the jealous naysayers in this thread that have not only tried to discredit my Eden Black specimen, but my entire collection.
We're not jealous, we're trying to help you with letting you know if it is a true Eden Black-once again, most likely not.

Adam, your words fall on blind eyes. He doesn't care, cause he's a troll. He's jacking with us on purpose. Ignore him and he'll go away eventually.

If he's sincerely that delusional to think the uproar is over his etiolated, dying cephs and believes he has a real Eden Black when Stephen Morley himself just said 99% chance NO, that's cool. Put him on your "don't trade with/buy from" list cause once that's done, what he does is no longer a concern to yourself. You're safe, and he can continue to bounce along to his own song.

I'm not going to be spending too much time trying to convince the naysayers because it's pretty obvious that I have an absolutely stunning collection, and people are simply jealous of that fact and feeding each others' hurt egos.

If you were even halfway concerned about the integrity of your plants and how stunning and unique they are you would at the very least appreciate the concerns that people have raised about the authenticity of the plant origins. I find it very difficult to believe that you do not recognize the legitimate concerns about your plants since you have essentially said that you have no concern for naming conventions and rename plants at your will. You have also failed to clarify legitimate discussion questions about your opinions on naming conventions (and other things for that matter).

And, you can't possibly play the victim because you have reported no posts to the Moderating Team about the conduct in this thread; so you are obviously looking for attention and disruption.

And it always saddens me to restrict/ban members since this is a discussion forum where plants should be shared, appreciated, and discussed; but I think it is obvious your motives are not sharing, appreciating, and discussing.

If this is all a big laugh to you then let me be perfectly clear: I get the last laugh.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back