User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: A Cephalotus Collection fit for a King! [warning: picture heavy]

Eats genetically engineered tomatoes Sig's Avatar
    Michigan -- If you donít like the weather, blink!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that some people are getting a little too uppity here... His plants, whether they live, die, or sprout wings and fly to the moon is his business. Sure, it's okay to give growing advice, but some people are being kinda harsh. If his rare plant dies he'll research more before he tries again, if not, people should be happy for him! If it IS an "Eden Black" then there's a source in the US and another way for people to get divisions. If it isn't, but looks exactly like one, who cares? As long as he doesn't try to sell or trade it as the clone then the cultivar status is just a title and means nothing; it's still a nice plant with the same features. Of course, if he is trying to sell/trade it, he should provide proper documentation, as expected with any rare/questionable plant transaction.

I'm not really sure what people are trying to get to, are you trying to prove it's not even his pictures, it's going to die, or it's not a real "Eden Black"? The last one only effects you if you're buying it from him and the first one you should just ignore. Personally, I like the cephs regardless of whether they're "real" or not, and ceph lovers in general should too.

Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    That is all part of the ebb & flow of an internet forum - a new kid buys a VFT, kills it, comes on asking for help (rarely having read any book, Barry's faq, or searched past posts). Two to three weeks later, the same kid is now an 'expert' handing out advice in new threads. Personally, it didn't take me long after arriving to realize that all responses are not created equal ...
    Of course! I feel like an idiot now for my first posts in the forum, both for my stupid questions and my equally stupid answers shortly after. I try to be more careful about my questions and my advice now, but of course, I'm still a complete newbie to the experts... and yet, I'm an "expert" to the truly complete newbies. Who knows, I might quit growing in a few months or I might eventually become a respected figure, though I doubt it. Everyone started somewhere, and I'm sure we all were once the new kid who bought the VFT and promptly killed it... so give them a break, and them existing doesn't mean the forum's gone to hell.

Happy growing!
    Last edited by Sig; 12-30-2010 at 10:06 AM.
    Formerly known as Silenceisgod!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great looking cephs.. whatever they are.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Listserv.org View Post
    As a grower, I'm sure that Stephen Morley has had his contributions to the hobby and such, but honestly, I couldn't give a sundew's dew-speck about his personal stamp of approval.
    In previous posts, you've shared your concern about the value of your investment. If this is still important to you, you should care about Mr. Morley's opinion since his statements directly affect that value. As is the case with rare art, provenance of objects (when identity is difficult to ascertain on a stand-alone basis) is critical in assessing value. Without a chain of custody, I could claim that my darkly-colored 'Czech Giant' or Sir K's beautiful black typical ceph is an 'Eden Black'.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

"Oh, now he's a philosophizer" Baylorguy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by massmorels View Post
    Great looking cephs.. whatever they are.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Given the lynch mob mentality that seems to have infected TerraForums in the last couple years I can see this could turn into a real urination confrontation.

If he says he can trace the lineage of the plants back to the original so be it. It would be difficult but not impossible to disprove. If he doesn't want to reveal his immediate source so be it. It might even be in violation of forum rules for him to do so. When acquiring a plant it is always caveat emptor - buyer beware.

So just enjoy the photos even though it takes forever for them to load.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    Given the lynch mob mentality that seems to have infected TerraForums in the last couple years I can see this could turn into a real urination confrontation.

If he says he can trace the lineage of the plants back to the original so be it. It would be difficult but not impossible to disprove. If he doesn't want to reveal his immediate source so be it. It might even be in violation of forum rules for him to do so. When acquiring a plant it is always caveat emptor - buyer beware.

So just enjoy the photos even though it takes forever for them to load.
    As 'Eden Black' is a registered cultivar this would be important to provide lineage in future, if this plant is to be resold or propagated from. Without such, anyone could claim to have this cultvar. This would effectively 'contaminate' the cultivar so no-one could be sure if they have the genuine one or not. Stephen Morley keeps records of who he has given the plant to, so could easily confirm provenance.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Listserv.org View Post
    I will be taking more photos of an infinitely rarer cultivar of Cephalotus Follicularis later today. This new, and previously unknown strain of Cephalotus will be known as "Golden Clumper" in accordance to my source. To the morons that are putting words into my mouth, I never claimed for it to be a separate species. However, it is, in fact, a previously unknown cultivar known to anyone in the world.
    This is not my opinion it is fact, please understand this. There are only two cultivar of Ceph's. Only 2. No more, period.

In order to establish a 3rd, 4th, 5th...you have to get it registered. There are alot of very good reasons for this I won't go into again. There are links in your other thread about this same subject.

Simply saying you have a cultivar is very misleading to the newer people, you have an unregisted possible clones, thats all. The 'Czech Giant's and 'German Giants' are in the same boat. They are unregisted possible clones.

A friendly piece of advice, you need to take a few minutes and think about the damage you are doing to your reputation, reread these threads. I know there are alot of people reading these threads that will never buy/sell/trade with you due to these threads. You may not care and thats your business. Just think about it some.

You are basically saying to us, I can run a 1 minute mile, really I can. Show you? No way.

The plants you are posting pic's of are well grown, but nothing supports any of them being an Eden.

If you really don't care about our opinions, why start these threads in the first place?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh boy, so all the ceph threads have made me go 'round and find old ceph threads on naming conventions and all that. Here's some links I'm going through, which is by far not extensive:

http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index...pic=24555&st=0
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...alotus+big+boy

---------- Post added at 02:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:09 PM ----------

and the thread on 'Eden Black'

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast