What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

C. "Big Boy" vs C. 'Hummer's Giant' Pictures

Here's a comparison between a Cephalotus "Big Boy" and C. 'Hummer's Giant' pitcher. Ignore the colouration, as they are grown in different lighting conditions...

SS852452.JPG
SS852474.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahhhh ...

Other than the coloration difference that I am to ignore, I can see no difference.

Pretty Cephs, though!

Yeah I'm with Lil Stinkpot - other than the HG does indeed have a wider midrib and *maybe* bigger teeth/rim. They're very nice pitchers though for sure!

wow. it looks like you took the same pitcher and photoshoped the color. nice plants

They look almost identicle to me, just that the hummers seems to have a slightly bigger rib thing in the middle and "wider teeth" ...So I guess what Thez said. :p

Very nice plants. Healthy looking pitchers. They could almost be twins, but with one having a thicker rim.

Very beautiful plants! Maybe it's an illusion from the camera angle, but the biggest difference I can see is in the shapes of the lids. ???

fake.. both of them.. not real.. I can see the strings.

Agree with mass, the shadows are all wrong. This was done on the same sound stage as the moon landing I think.

Nice photo's you can really see them well. The Cephalotus 'Hummer's Giant' does have a tiny bit larger rib.

What are the pitcher measurements?

fake.. both of them.. not real.. I can see the strings.

Agree with mass, the shadows are all wrong. This was done on the same sound stage as the moon landing I think.

Dash it... I've been caught out. I couldn't book the moon landing sound stage as it's being fully utilised to fake images from the Hubble telescope (we all know the real thing is as blind as a bat, right?), so I had to use the Clangers set...

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3iJXiNQuHdk?fs=1&hl=en_GB&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3iJXiNQuHdk?fs=1&hl=en_GB&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>​

Last edited:
Obviously the ability to discern details varies widely between individuals.

Other than the more obvious pigmentation differences, and that they seem to be very similar in overall size. There are many differences: the lids are slightly different in size, shape, and completely different in vein and fenestration patterns. The collars are different, one is wider than the other and the bottom collar ridge differs in thickness. The side wings, coming up at an angle on the sides of the pitchers are more rounded on the green pitcher than the red one and the green pitcher bulges out more uniformly towards its base than the red one. There are also many more subtle variations that are more difficult to describe. I'm sure there are even differences that I do not notice. I know several people whose eye for detail is quite amazing, going way beyond, even my own.

Without a standard reference object such as a ruler or even a coin to provide scale it is impossible to judge size from the photos. Image size is affected by many factors such as lens focal length, distance of the object to the focal plane and cropping, enlargement/reduction during image processing.

At first glance they appear almost identical but under closer scrutiny as Joseph points out there are many subtle and not so subtle differences.

Nice photo's you can really see them well. The Cephalotus 'Hummer's Giant' does have a tiny bit larger rib.

What are the pitcher measurements?
The size is an illusion, as both images are cropped to the same size so as to give a good side-by-side comparison. The 'Hummer's Giant' is larger, being 5.5cm, compared to 4.5cm for the "Big Boy". "Big Boy" has the potential to be as large or larger than 'Hummer's Giant' but as with all Cephalotus clone characteristics it is dependant on conditions. In this case, the 'Hummer's Giant' is growing on a windowsill that doesn't get much daylength this time of year, whereas the "Big Boy" was under 13 hours of artificial lighting. There is said to be a trade-off with Cephalotus between colouration and size.

Obviously the ability to discern details varies widely between individuals.

Other than the more obvious pigmentation differences, and that they seem to be very similar in overall size. There are many differences: the lids are slightly different in size, shape, and completely different in vein and fenestration patterns. The collars are different, one is wider than the other and the bottom collar ridge differs in thickness. The side wings, coming up at an angle on the sides of the pitchers are more rounded on the green pitcher than the red one and the green pitcher bulges out more uniformly towards its base than the red one. There are also many more subtle variations that are more difficult to describe. I'm sure there are even differences that I do not notice. I know several people whose eye for detail is quite amazing, going way beyond, even my own.

Add that I was trying to view both on my mobile and I have an icicles chance in Hades in being able to tell them apart. :-))

Now that You pointed out the differences, and I have a much bigger screen, I can see them. Subtle!

The size is an illusion, as both images are cropped to the same size so as to give a good side-by-side comparison. The 'Hummer's Giant' is larger, being 5.5cm, compared to 4.5cm for the "Big Boy". "Big Boy" has the potential to be as large or larger than 'Hummer's Giant' but as with all Cephalotus clone characteristics it is dependant on conditions. In this case, the 'Hummer's Giant' is growing on a windowsill that doesn't get much daylength this time of year, whereas the "Big Boy" was under 13 hours of artificial lighting. There is said to be a trade-off with Cephalotus between colouration and size.

Any comparison of different clones grown under different conditions is virtually meaningless.

Any comparison of different clones grown under different conditions is virtually meaningless.
A forum member asked for this, so I merely obliged. I clearly stated in the first post 'Ignore the colouration, as they are grown in different lighting conditions...'

I noticed a bunch of differences when pointed out by Joseph too...

C. "Big Boy" seems to have a more rounded lid, with a bigger indent in the top. And the "entrance" is wider too. that's all that I notice that is explainable for me, other than the slightly different veining.

Back