What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

H. sp. "Foothills Testigos"

Hey Friends,

Since few photos exist online of this magnificent new Heliamphora species...presenting Heliamphora sp. "Foothills Testigos" ;

1150375356_8H4HP-XL.jpg

1150375411_RxJMJ-XL.jpg

1150375383_9VSbL-XL.jpg

Note the slight differential between this red pitcher and the tallest one in the pot..

1150643038_jQoJQ-XL.jpg

Here's a quick shot of one of the Heli-nursery chambers... ; ) More species to follow soon!

1150375453_VYZuV-XL.jpg

Happy Growing,

Brian

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I just had a stroke from looking at that heli chamber......it's incredible. :0o:

Beautiful plants! Out of curiosity, how are you able to keep the plants at a coolish temperature?

That is quite an impressive collection! That new Heliamphora is quite a looker. It has an interesting nectar spoon formation

:love:
My eyes fell out from the amazing. That new heli is spectacular and your collection is just overwhelmingly awesome.

:spazz:
zomg a fellow Florida-heli grower. It CAN be done! :mwahaha:

HOLY CANNOLI!That is full of WIN! all those helis are amazing!

Lots of nice work there. Thanks for sharing. Always ready for more, when you are.

Wow very nice!

I too would like to know about your cooling & lighting setup.

Thanks for posting the pics Brian. Mine has been putting out pitchers with a nectar spoons similar to your 4th pic - but the one forming now looks like it may have the potential to look like your 2nd pic. Beautiful & robust growing plants.

That's one heck of a collection of Heli's you've got there!! :hail: Hopefully you've got additional room to expand as it looks like many have a ways to go before they're full sized...:-O

suite

this new specie , BRIAN, come from WISTUBA ?

jeff

Thanks Everyone,

As far as lighting goes, I've had great success with the new BadBoy T5 setups, with two blue and two red spectrum bulbs set in an offset (one blue, one red) pattern on a 12 hr on 12 hr off photoperiod. Humidity is kept above 60% at all times using a cool-mist room humidifier as necessary. I use a portable SunBeam "swamp cooler" for cooling purposes, which is only needed during the hottest parts of Summer.... ; ) Adults are misted lightly three times daily and juveniles are never misted. They don't like it, at least in my conditions. Proper humidity seems to suffice on most occasions. I prefer the 70-75% range.

And yes, these will add to your electric bill! All three of my Heliamphora setups cost about 40 bucks total in electricity each month. But the results are worth it, in my opinion.

Soon, more to come! : )

Happy Growing...and stay warm,

Brian

When I received this plant last year, it was just a little guy - but almost immediately started putting out new pitchers. I was very happy when this one came up - figuring this elegant shape was what truly mature pitchers looked like...
Hfoothills-pitchercloseup090710RS.jpg

Fast forward around 7 months and it's still growing like a champ. Here's a current pic - notice the cool red hoods and that it's putting out 3 new pitchers at the same time (& the one @ 1 o'clock is just finishing opening. The pitcher at 11 o'clock is the one in 1st picture)...
Hfoothillsplant1043011RS.jpg

.... and a pitcher close-up:
Hfoothillspitcher3-4043011RS.jpg

Wow, Brian. I think I would give up my left "testigos" for a Heli collection like that.

Cheers,

Joe

Back