What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My new Cephalotus

Smitty

Plant Ninja
P1020141-1.jpg

P1020142.jpg

Just received this young adult in the mail yesterday. I had to take pictures of it basking in it's first ever NY morning sun.

Looking good and healthy. Nice color too. :) Don't be surprised if the large pitcher's life is cut short - cephalotus doesn't travel well in the mail. With proper care it'll soon start pitchering profusely for you.

Oh that is niiiiice :-D

Thanks for sharing this beautiful shot of a beautiful plant! :-D

Wow i love it i am getting a Cephalotus in the mail soon to so i really hope it will grow for me and look like that where did you get it from?

Grow temps

CPGrowtemps.jpg

These are the current grow conditions in the little green house that it is going to live in.

I have 3 more of these little beasts on order scheduled to ship out beginning of the week. (different sources)

I will have to say though, The company this one came from packaged to ship with remarkable precision. Complete with bubble wrap, a protective dome lined at the soil line with foam so the cap didn't crush into the soil. I was impressed.

Thank you for all you positive comments, I hope to have a great time with these little guys.

Impressive color!

I plan on keeping that beautiful hue shining bright. If it starts to fade under the 4ft flouro's then I will blast it with a 400 watt metal halide hortilux.

I plan on keeping that beautiful hue shining bright. If it starts to fade under the 4ft flouro's then I will blast it with a 400 watt metal halide hortilux.

Be sure to keep an eye on the temperatures (like that in their natural location):
http://www.worldweather.org/185/c00356f.htm#climate

When kept indoors in a terrarium, temperatures increases with the wattage.

But Cephalotus likes relative chilly temperatures, compared with average room temperature.

If kept too warm, pitchers will stay more green in the long run.
If kept chillier, pitchers will show nice red (at the same amount of light).

Temps shouldn't be a problem. I will use this to keep everything within safe parameters at all time.

P1020143.jpg

Thank you for the tips on the temperature coloration. I appreciate it!

Some more to post.

Thought I would post a few more of my Cephalotus Typical collection that I have going. They have been acclimated for a little while in the grow rack, They are all now starting to ramp up growth point production/pitcher production. I thought I would take some "Youngster pics" before they take off. :0o:

Substrate- 1 part milled Sphagnum moss
1 part Sand
1 part Peat
1 1/2 parts Perlite
1 part horticultural charcoal.

This is Cephalotus 1- Shown earlier. Now it is showing 3 new growth points. Scheduled to be repotted next week with all the rest of the small ones.

P1020239.jpg

Cephalotus 2- (5 inch pot)Slow to acclimate after shipping, but now is throwing new pitchers again. (2nd pic)
P1020233.jpg

P1020232.jpg

Cephalotus 3(5 inch pot) - This is my most vigorous one and now my favorite. This was a little guy when I got it. Now it has 3 new growth points that are really taking off.
P1020231.jpg

P1020230.jpg

P1020229.jpg

Cephalotus 4 - Baby It is a tiny little guy that I thought was dead from shipping...Low and behold a month later...out comes some growth!
P1020237.jpg

Cephalotus 5- Big Baby. Another slow goer like his brother but a little bigger.
P1020235.jpg

Cephalotus 6.......Well that one is on it's way. :rookwoot:

Woah nerd..you really seem to be good with cephs! :-O

anything in your collection that isn't impressive? :lol: very nice

BAHHH my camera is dead.....:-( My ceph has changed so much sence i got it an has sooooo much more growth and i cant even share. :-( Yours are looking great. Bet u cant wait till en of summer to se what they en up huh ? i know i cant.

Thanks guys. These guys are on autopilot on the grow rack. I give them what they want and they are rewarding me for it now!
They are a very slow growing species so why do I stare at them the most! :-D

They will be going into the new CP grow room in the basement that is currently under construction. But that's another thread. :)

Incredible looking plants!

Out of curiosity, what sort of fluorescent lights do you have above those plants? They seem very happy.....

@Dionae Thanks for the kind words!
@TheFury- They are under Regular 4 foot flouro's with 4 6400k bulbs. Set at 3 inches away. Right now they are also getting 2 hours (Midday sun) from a 400 watt MH hortilux and that is slowly going to increase in 20 minute intervals every 3 or so days until they are moved into the new grow chamber. There they will be given a mix of the 400 mh and supplemental T5 HO lighting.

Back