What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Cephalotus Typical!

Hi everyone this is my first Cephalotus! i love it so far and i have it under good light and not watering it to much and it is in the right soil.

Here is the setup.
http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa363/eou812/Picture001.jpg

Here is the light bulb that it is under as well as with the other plants in the setup.
http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa363/eou812/Picture002.jpg

Here are the rest of them and they are just different angles from the plant hope you like them! comments and suggestions are welcome of how to grow or anything thanks for looking!
http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa363/eou812/Picture009.jpg

http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa363/eou812/Picture008.jpg

http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa363/eou812/Picture003.jpg

http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa363/eou812/Picture004.jpg

http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa363/eou812/Picture005.jpg

http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa363/eou812/Picture006.jpg

http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa363/eou812/Picture007.jpg

Well that's it! i love how their lids on top of the pitchers are almost clear.

congrats...
you might want to think about adding ventilation....cephs appreciate air movement.

That's an interesting setup....can't say I've ever seen one like it before.

Yeah me and my dad built it everything from scrap.

Yeah me and my dad built it everything from scrap.

It could work...might want to be carefull about it getting too hot in there....cephs don't like temps over 80F very much.

Really i have read they have withstood up to 100 deegres F. at a nursrey before. But yah it ussaully stays in the upper 70s to lower 80s.

Very interesting setup and that is definitely a nice specimen to start out with, the color is fantastic.

But as others have said, you will want to concentrate on good ventilation and temperature regulation. The other plants you have in there will be more forgiving but your Cephalotus certainly may be your most demanding plant.

Really i have read they have withstood up to 100 deegres F. at a nursrey before. But yah it ussaully stays in the upper 70s to lower 80s.

"withstood" simply means they won't burst into flames after a day or two of hot temps..but if it's hot all the time they pretty much give up and die.

oh yah yah i know you can do that as long as the temps drop below 70 at night.

Nice Ceph you have there eou812.....but that grow chamber looks like a recipe for a house fire. The Cardboard is going to warp like mad when coupled with the humidity your going to throw at it. You might come in and see the bulb laying on top on your precious Ceph one day. That wouldn't be a good thing.

for some reason my post didnt register? weird...

OK so take 2 then,

EOU i will chime in with the others in saying you need to get more ventilation, and build up of moisture on the crown of these plants can be detrimental, and being too humid will do that very easily...
Next, your lighting.
You need more lighting, plain and simple IMO.
Cephalotus like a lot of light, and if you hope to retain that color and the health of the plant, and not have them end up like a certain ex-members, then you might considering investing in some shop light fixtures, T12 will work fine but you can use T8s and use fewer bulbs.

What is the media you have it planted in?
did you receive it potted or bareroot?

i grow my cephalotus in with my intermediate lowland plants and use 3x 2foot 2 bulb fixtures (6 bulbs total) and have use a combination of daylight and cool white spectrum bulbs, hence the strange coloring your going to see in this photo, they are certainly not as dull as they luck as my camera decided it wanted to use its flash haha. The tank is a 30 gallon tank set on its side, with the top facing out, and completely opened allowing for ventilation.
intermediate-lowlandsetup002.jpg

Not sure what the media it is in because i just got it yesterday but i will ask the people i bought it from. I recived it potted. I have tin foil surrounding the inside do you think that is enough light? andni will try to keep a fan blowing on it i am also leaving it alone on humidity it doesn't really need high humidity so there won't be much humidity. Also i will be keeping it damp not to dry and not waterlogged. Thanks anymore questions because if you do i am glad i need all of the help i can get!

Try getting a big plastic tub with a lid, you can always keep water in that and have the plants sitting on top of something and out of the water. That will help with humidity, You can still wrap it with foil. They have large ones at dollor stores for like 12$. You can still use that light maybe more of them for sure. If you shop around you can find higher wat 6500k and others that give more lumens. a mix of k rating will be best. for a fan u can cut a hole in the top and put a small desk fan over the hole pulling air out and put a small hole on the back somewhere for air to come in.

Where's the remote control robot? D:
Such a pretty ceph!

Nice Ceph.
Congrats!

Nice little ceph.

I'm wondering what is the color temperature of that light? It might just be the photo, but it looks like the kind they sell for living room lamps, which would be coming in at about 2700k. If it is then you need to up the Ks (Kelvins). Cool white fluorescent bulbs are about 4100-4200k (good). Daylight CFL bulbs are 6500k (better). My plants seem to like a mix of those two. I agree with everybody: You need more light. Your plants will be happier. You really need to add more CFLs if that's what you want to use. I should think that four 100w-equivalent bulbs would be enough for this group of plants, but I wouldn't put them in that box.

Considering the kinds of plants you have in this group, I would suggest taking the tub out of the box entirely and just put it out on one of those shelves. It would eliminate the fire hazard, and you could hang as many lights as you want to on the shelf overhead without having to worry about overheating. (You really don't need the foil either.) Ventilation would not be an issue since the plants would be out in the open, and you would be able to enjoy them any time without having to open a box. You don't really need to go to extraordinary lengths to provide humidity for any of the plants you have there. It's just not necessary. Adequate humidity would be provided by the water in tub underneath, and if you are worried about it, you could add a couple of more tubs the size of the one in the picture on either side with a little water in them to boost the humidity around the plants. A very gentle fan (whisper-on-the-cheek strength) blowing over one of the extra water tubs timed to come on several times a day for a half hour would increase the humidity even more, but it's not really necessary.

I always top-water any of my cephs that are growing inside enclosures, but I use water trays under the ones I have out in the open because the lower humidity tends to dry out the pots more quickly. The pot your ceph is in looks shallow, so I would keep a very low water level under the pot if you are going to liberate it from the box. Maybe a centimeter. (It can go up and down a bit.)

BTW, in reference to another thread (http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125693), do not pour coffee on the ceph or on any of the other plants in the photos. Nepenthes only.

Cheers!

The light bulbs are Soft white compact Flourescent bulbs 26 watt 100 watt replacement light output 1750 lumens energy used 26watts life 10,000 hours 2,700K that's all of the info on the light bulbs and i agree i don't care if the humidity is 15% they don't really NEED IT! Thanks for the other info to i think i am going to try that right now but one prob how will i get the light to hang over the plants? Also since they are in the box with tin foil around ther box don't you think that is enough? Thanks everyone for the info PLEASE KEEP IT UP I NEED TO KNOW ANYTHING I CAN!

---------- Post added at 10:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 AM ----------

Ok i moved all of them out of the box and found a way to hang the light directly in the middle of all of them sitting in the tup of disstelled water and the Cephalotus is not well it really is really isn't i cut the bottom of a plastic cup off and put the Cephalotus in it and so it wouldn't be sitting in water waiting for it's roots to rot to no end. I am going to Lowe's at 12:45 PM today to get another light or two with a connector so i can plug it up into a exstension cord and light it up please anymore infois welcomed and i also sprinkled VERY LITTLE silica sand around the Cephalotus so the moss wouldn't over grow it and it wouldn't root rot just in case i gave it to much water it will sortof keep it a little moist/damp so thanks please any other pepople with other info please tell me i need to know everything i can that i am doing right and wrong THANKS!

The moss won't really hurt your ceph, and neither will silica sand. However, the moss will probably eventually cover the sand, too. I wouldn't worry about it. You can carefully trim it back with some scissors if it gets too long and you don't like that.

Cephs aren't really that hard to grow, but there are some things that will impact their health. They like the soil to be more moist instead of soggy-wet, and they don't like to have hot roots. In a household environment neither should be a problem. Household temperatures are fine, and it's easy to keep track of watering. Stagnant air encourages mold, so if they are in an enclosure it should ventilated–not be completely closed. Mostly, leave it pretty much alone after you get it situated. Resist the temptation to tinker with it. And, never ever fertilize it.

Something I've found with my cephs is that they seem to respond positively to getting a very light misting at night, light being the operative word. You don't want to wet them down–more like one squirt in their general direction. It sounds counter-intuitive, like that should be done during the day so they have time to dry out, but I've seen a definite improvement in mine with a nightly misting.

Rondom because that's what i started doing last night with the misting.

Back