Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cephalotus Myths

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cephalotus Myths

Hello everyone! This is my first post
    I'm from Istanbul and I've been growing CPs for about 2-3 years now. Over the years I've kept many different species, tried my hand at a terrarium and finally decided to stick to plants that can grow on my balcony without the need of a terrarium.

Cephalotus is one of those and my most favorite, too. I've always heard about the troubles of keeping one, how sensitive and what a slow-grower it is.
    My experience has been very different, so I wanted to share it.

This is a photo of them taken in June, 2010.

And this is from January, 2011.

Compared to my other CPs (a few Nepenthes, Sarracenia, a vft, a few Drosera), I wouldn't say their growth is slow at all. Hard to see in this photo but there's also a big pitcher on the left.

I may be a radical grower, I'm not sure, you tell me. Here's how I treat them: In summer, I watered often and in little amounts; I sprayed them every evening with soapy + oily water to keep off the bugs. A few of my Sarracenia had bug problem (I don't spray those) but Cephalotus never did.
    Starting from fall I reduced my watering. I've been watering them once every 2-3 weeks. Is this extreme? They didn't seem to mind.
    Last but not least, I'm using Charles Brewer's mix; %45 LFS, %45 perlite and %10 other stuff.
    They're in a little fish tank with no top (the top was there when I first put them out on the balcony, opened it slowly over the month and finally discarded it); they've seen some frost and the winter temperature has ranged from 0C - 10C; dropping below 0 once or so.
    I never shielded them or took precautions.

I'd say, so far, Cephalotus has been my most trouble-free CP. However, I have to note that this is our 9th month together and in Cephalotus years, I guess it's only a beginning
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 02-15-2011 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find cepholotus to be rather easy....I just keep the light bright, the temps cool, and the soil damp and it grows like mad....I think people try to treat them like they are made of glass and they die from over-attention...keeping them in places without much airflow and super high humidity don't help either....
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right Exo and Maxima all these people are keeping these poor things in terrariums when they don't need it i mean are they in terrariums in the wild NO! Tthese are easyier to grow than most people think so you out there that think you can't grow try it you prob. can try it!

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The closer to the optimal conditions that plants are adapted/evolved to that you cultivate your plants in the easier they are to grow. Cephalotus are naturally adapted to a so-called Mediterranean Climate so I would imagine it much less difficult to grow them in another Mediterranean climate.

In general I don't even start to consider any meaningful success until I've grown a mature plant at least 3 complete seasonal cycles or generations (in the case of annual/semi-annual plants).
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cephalotus are one of those plants that either do well or they dont IMO...
    looks like you found the spot they like right off the bat, and thats no easy accomplishment by any means.
    Congratulations on your mature trap on that plant, the first mature trap is always a milestone when cultivating these plants from immature clones/seedlings and many people who up right and buy mature plants never get to experience it unless they get a small plant later, and thats just not the same feeling haha.

if your plants are doing fine with your watering schedule then i see no reason to change it, i water once or twice a week but thats only because my lights dry the media relatively fast.

Cephalotus are difficult plants until you find that spot that the particular plant likes (though that goes to say with just about anything except capensis ;P )
    but once you find that spot that they love, man do they take off... i still find it silly that you could have two plants of the exact same clone sitting right next to eachother, and have one that thrives while the other is like "ehhh"

so congrats again on getting them to grow well for you it took me almost 3 years to get it down haha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would go with adappted not a number a what a great first thread Maxima.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can provide the proper growing conditions, Cephalotus is an unkillable beast that will multiply and spread.
    "I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one."

Wolfn's Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL! I have yet to try my hand at growing these even though I've asked around for some. When I get a few, I'm sure my climate will provide easy growing also.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast