What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus Watering Methods

adamtekium

WRC Fan
Hi all,
I'm waiting on some C. follicularis seeds to germinate and I'm trying to figure out how I should water them to avoid the infamous Cephalotus sp. sudden death syndrome. So far I've eliminated the typical tray method as well as any other methods that leave the roots soaked for prolonged periods of time.The ICPS recommends a drip irrigation system, but I simply don't have a way to provide that right now. I should probably also add that my climate provides under 30% humidity most of the time.

I think cultivation of Cephalotus has been made much more difficult than it needs to be. I water mine just like I do my mexican butterworts. Fill the tray up with water and then let it dry out for a couple of days. Then repeat. The drip irrigation system sounds like overkill to me.

Phil

I would water it maybe once a week and what a caweekedink because i am trying to germinate some Cephalotus seeds also i just planted them 5 min. ago and i mist them with one squirt of a water bottle of water at night right before i go to bed so far that is helping me with my growing Cephalotus right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
The drip irrigation system sounds like overkill to me.

My thoughts exactly. So you're saying you just use the tray method but you let it dry out completely before adding more? Do you ever top water or would that really increase the chance of crown rot and other diseases?

@eou812
Have you grown Cephalotus sp. before or are these your first batch?

I top water my cephs but I do not get any water on the crown of the plant itself.

If you stay diligent on making sure to water only when needed you shouldn't have to worry about crown rot.

Once you establish a routine you will then see how much water your Cephs are going to need. I'm finding that mine needs only once a week watering at most because I over potted mine upon receiving them a few weeks ago.

I have seeds growing and i have a plant that i just got about a week ago so i am pretty new to it.

I can't speak for seedlings, but for my established plant (most likely from a pulling or TC) I don't let it stand in water in any capacity, but top water in a little moat that I dug around the plant.

From about a month ago:
P1200855.jpg

You can sort of see the moat, which I fill and let soak through a few times, maybe twice a week or so, avoiding the crown of the plant.

Hope this helps!

Yup, I let mine sit in a tray of water that I let slowly disappear...wait a day, then refill the saucer.

P2110012.jpg

Alright, very good. I have two pots of seeds waiting to germinate so I'll try a couple different methods. Thanks guys.

Adam, I do not top water because from my experience if I get some water on the pitchers they tend to brown. Just water conservatively and don't fuss over the plant too much... and it'll do great.

Phil

I use the top watering method and the tray method Phil mentions above and I can honestly say that I notice no difference. I've read a lot of posts about having to keep the crown dry to avoid 'crown rot' but I've never been particularly careful about this and have never lost a plant. IMHO there are a lot of myths about Cephalotus. People fuss and pamper over them, blindly following this and that 'rules' from 'experts' without taking into consideration as to whether the plant is looking healthy or not under the imposed growing conditions.

I agree, people are way to careful with Ceph's because someone said something once. I am using about 6 or so different methods of watering Ceph's right now and I've not had any loses I can not explain. From my limited experience with Ceph's and alot of experience with orchids and other "hard" to keep plants I believe the real problem is airflow to the roots not overwatering.

Some reading to help back up what I just said. That last Ceph in there has been IN flowing water for over two years now. It has never had anywhere close to dry roots in there with near constance 99% humidity. So overwatering is not the problem :-)). As I say in that thread this is not a good way to grow them and I'm not suggesting anyone without extra Ceph's try this. The growth rate has been pitiful, but the plant is healthy and no sign of visible roots :crazy:.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116479.

If I had unlimited time/resources I would use a drip system with either mounded soil or vertical slopes, but since I don't have enough time I'm mainly using the tray method.

With 30% humidity I would think you could use anywatering method without fear of rot, the crown would dry out fast enough. Now you have to keep in mind the weather, on a rainy day what is the humidity? If its higher and you don't adjust for it you might run into problems with overhead watering.

Alright. Thank you all for the info. I really appreciate it. I think I'll be safe as long as I pay close attention to the plants and their reactions. If they do die on me, no biggie. I'll just consider it a learning experience.

Back