What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarr Pollen ???

I guess this really isn't here nor there right now
But just thought I'd put it out there

I grow Sarrs but don't collect them like I do Neps

Anyway I have at lease 2 that are flowering / No ID / They're in a mixed mini bog & I don't think I even got an ID on them to start with
&
One of my Purps should also be flowering / At least it did last year

If someone can tell me how to tell the difference between male & female flowers & the best way to store/ship the pollen
I'd be more than happy to send it to anyone who could use it
Would hate to see it go to waste if someone could use it
I'll cut & send the whole flower if that'll work

I've never bothered to try to breed Sarrs so I've never done the research on it

I will post pics once the flowers open & I will also post pics of the Sarrs once they get bigger or if I can find any pics from last year / Should have some in a file somewhere

Just thought I'd post now in case time was a factor

DC

Last edited:
Sarracenia are Monoecious - the flowers have both anthers (male) and stigma (female) parts.

Refer to the NASC pollination guide:
http://nasarracenia.org/index.php?option=com_deeppockets&task=catContShow&cat=2&id=21&Itemid=33

You can collect the pollen on a cotton swab and wrap it tightly in aluminum foil and the place in an airtight container to store in the refrigerator. Or you can take a paint brush and collect the pollen or remove some anthers onto paper, aluminum foil or whatever and again store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Any of the above can be mailed. Cotton swabs are the easiest to deal with.

I never keep the pollen more than three weeks. How long it remains viable/potent I couldn't tell you as I never took note as to what yielded seed or not depending on the age of the pollen.

Thanks for posting that NASC guide. I have yet to pollinate any myself, but I may have some interesting combinations coming up. In general, I wonder how long a flower can be covered? If I have one flower open and have to wait 2-3 weeks for another flower to open, will timing work out?

Two weeks is probably pushing it if the flowers are open already but you could always give it a try. Take notes. I would self-pollinate that flower, save some of the pollen and keep it covered so any residual pollen won't get picked up or open pollinated by insects should it still be receptive when the pollen is ripe on other plants. And use the saved pollen on the next plants flowers.

You can't always get reciprocal crosses.

Be sure to label the flower stalks using pencil or with colored thread/yarn. Ink will likely fade by the time the seed is ripe - especially "permanent" markers.

There is also this wonderfully detailed pollination guide by Brookes Garcia. Unfortunately the links to the photos are no longer valid. If someone is in contact with Brookes Garcia perhaps they can be updated.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93602

I'm still not 100% on what the stigma looks like. I'll take a peek when I get home to clarify.

Thanks for the links everyone.

At the tips of inner surface of the "umbrella" style there should be a hook shaped structure which is the stigma.

Back