What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

(Hopefully)Rescue: Lowe's Darlingtonia californica

You might want to switch to opaque tubing. Those clear lines will start getting funky real quick when you put it out in the sun. Or maybe ditch the tubes altogether; I think you'll get more evaporative cooling if you just top-water the moss. Looks good though, very clean rig as was said. I'm hoping to set up something like that to recirculate the water in all my outdoor trays - I'm sure it'll be big and clumsy though, and only a few will get the direct watering.
~Joe

1. Lucky!!!! I can never find Darlingtonia anywhere.
2. The planter is genius! It looks so well done, almost professional.

Did you have to cut a square in the lid of the cooler or is it just made that way? I already have the pump and the cooler and the vinyl tubing for the project. I hope it is not to are to do and it works out like it did for you.

@seedjar: How, then, would I go about getting water around the area if not by tubing? I agree that more evaporative cooling is a most welcome thing.

@Wire Man: Me either, this was the first time I'd seen it here. Glad I got some! Thanks!

@eou: Yes, I cut it. Again, all the info is in two of my above posts. The most difficult part was cutting the hole because it took a lot of elbow grease and the hacksaw blade was difficult to hold onto. If there's a jigsaw lying around there, that'd save you a whole lot of effort.

EDIT: Guess I should mention I used a drill with a spade bit to cut the hole for the PVC pipe.

For the soil mix you could also use one part peat moss one part perlite and one part orchid bark that's what i use and it's growing just a suggestion.

Back