Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sarracenia purpurea repotting

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sarracenia purpurea repotting

The plant has been repotted into a bigger pot with 50:50 individually washed and microwaved silica sand : peat mix. But for some reason I decided to add a top layer of coarse sand (~1cm). Now I'm wondering if it was a good idea...

Hear the Call of Nepenthes carnivoure12's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you might've buried the rhizome too much... you should leave the tip of it exposed.
    -Carnivoure12
    →Growlist

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I concur.. but the plant looks great!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indeed, in general, try to replant a plant at the same depth it was growing at originally.
    However when a plant is growing in LFS or live sphagnum, it may often be grown slightly deeper than in other media, based on the LFS being so light and airy.

Live Sphagnum in particular can easily over grow a plant, burying the growing tip completely,

or even covering a plant and overwhelming it altogether. Not usually a good thing for the plant!

In your case, sand being heavy, I don't think it was a wise thing to do.

Good luck
    Experience is the best teacher. At least it used to be.
    But then, common sense isn't so common anymore, is it.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=113866

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The sand layer will prevent fungus gnats from infesting your pot. It can also prevent moss growth. I use a sand mulch against fungus gnats often.

The crown will grow out on its own, don't worry about it. Floods happen in nature that can cover the crown with sand or other debris.

I had some growing points pressed up against the wall of the pot so they were inverted and they eventually righted themselves making a "S" curve.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use dried LFS. I wet the medium and place a ball of it around the root system, then plant the plant into a pot of wet LFS. The LFS once wetted helps the root system send out strong roots once you then place the potted plant in a saucer of water, then placed outside. You don't need sand, silica, peat or anything else. The other good part about the LFS is that it is bacteria and germ free. Use it and you won't lose it. My 200 plants swear by the stuff.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm I will remove the sand a bit around the crown and leave the rest. Hopefully it will spread itself evenly with time again and top waterings but there will be less of it. No pressure no weight .

I was also wandering what is the best way to prevent media (fine peat particles) from washing out from the bottom of the pot? This one has large holes and everytime i water it from the top, some of the peat washes out.. A layer of coarse perlite or dried LFS on the bottom perhaps?
    Last edited by gill_za; 03-30-2011 at 02:57 PM.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A thin layer of either in the bottom of the pot will help to keep the peat moss from coming out the drain holes. Or a piece of fiberglass fly screen will work too. Things should eventually firm up, if not I suppose you could wet some long fiber sphagnum moss and stuff it into the holes from underneath.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast