What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Too cold to go out??

mikefallen13

Mr. veitchii
Hello,
I've potted up a few of my sarrs they are developing flowers and pitchers I was thinking of putting them outside but most nights it's going down to about 40 degrees is this too cold for them?? I'm kinda a of a sarracenia noob So plaese excuse my stupid question:blush:

It should be good... I keep mine outside year round.
Then again, they're covered with pine needles, buried in the ground(in my bog) and haven't started doing anything yet...

If there is little chance of frost put them outside. Just keep an eye on the weather forecast and if frost is predicted bring them indoors temporarily until it warms up again.

40 is perfectly fine!
actually anything above 32 is fine..
even 30 is almost always fine..(although if you want to be really safe, just make 35 or so your "cutoff" temp)

I dont move my plants (into the garage for the night) unless the overnight forecast is 20-something..
even if they say 30, I leave them out..(a light frost is hamless) so I guess my cutoff temp would be 29..

VFTs and Sarrs get light freezes in the wild quite often..they can handle it fine.
"excess" cold isnt a problem for one or two nights at 30 degrees..even 25..
the problem is 4 months at 10 degrees..thats the killer..

Scot

I live in Indiana and 40 is my low point for spring. They could probably stand lower but I have lost flower stalks in the past when temps get down to 35-38 degrees. Plus weather predictions around here are usually off by a few degrees from time to time. If lows are below 40 I will usually store them in my garage for the night or until temps get above 40.

I'm hoping this week is my last time doing this.

I'm not an expert, just my personal preferences based on a few bad experiences.

I just got a couple little Sarrs this year from an obviously warmer place than where I am. They too have little flower buds and are starting to grow. My experience is like this, if it is their first year with me, I bring them in because I too have lost a few flowers to frosts. At the same time, where you are a self proclaimed "sarracenia noob," maybe for this year just don't worry about the flowers. The plant itself will be perfectly fine as long as it doesn't go into a prolonged solid freeze.

Next year though just leave them outside and let them wake up with the rest of the world.

Thanks everyone, I used to live in NC so I by now it would already be getting up to 70 degrees during the day and about 55 at night And down there there would be very few long freezes so this year I decided to overwinter them in the fridge but next year I'm just going to leave them outside and mulch them heavily. I call my self a sarracenia " noob" because this is only my third year growing them.

Back