Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heli pitchers overfed?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exo View Post
    Ok....good news is that it's been sending up new growth right along and has been growing rather fast (for a heli), so hopefully it is just overfeeding...but I'll keep an eye on it.

---------- Post added at 02:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:13 PM ----------

They do that?!?
    Yeah, I saw it in some guide to having show-quality Sarr pitchers without any browning. Let them feed as much as they want when they first open up, but then plug them up come late summer so they don't turn all mucky.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thez_yo View Post
    Shove em full of cotton balls like Sarr growers?
    Quote Originally Posted by Exo View Post
    They do that?!?
    Sure. I first saw it at Botanique (Rob S's place) and it's a good idea if you want a 'show' plant without the mid-pitcher rotten areas typically found in cultivated plants (although I don't remember seeing this in the field). Technically, most people will use the stuff sold for stuffing pillows - so it's probably polyester iirc.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My H. heterodoxa x minor had a similar reaction when I first received it. Any pitcher that I fed became brown and rotten within days, it was pretty disappointing.

So I have not actually fed any of them out of fear that they will be lost. So far it seems to be working, though the growth has been consistent and rather unimpressive.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heliamphora need to be fed small insects. I had a Heliamphora minor last year and I fed it a large ant and the pitcher died. Today, I stick to one small ant a pitcher. No more than two ants a pitcher
    "I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one."

Wolfn's Growlist

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive fed mine full grown wasps/multiple Cichlid fish pellets/flies...etc, etc, etc with no issues and rapid growth. Like many variables, the maximum amount you can feed is directly related to the plants ability to utilize those nutrients.

Feed/fert rates are variables that will depend on specifc conditions... start off slow and work your way up to find that "sweet spot" for your plant/setup. What is a safe limit for one grower could kill the plants of another.

Av

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfn View Post
    I had a Heliamphora minor last year and I fed it a large ant and the pitcher died. Today, I stick to one small ant a pitcher. No more than two ants a pitcher
    I know many prefer feeding insects (it's the natural thing) but so far, my preference is for very weak orchid fertilizer in the pitchers* on a weekly basis (weekly weakly)(or as my time allows). Using this approach, there is no overfeeding (and the resulting pitcher loss), the pitchers stay hydrated, all pitchers can be fed (even tiny, immature pitchers) and good growth & regular pitcher production follows.

With a little bit higher humidity, the same approach has been working well for rootless divisions.

* I only put solution within the pitchers but due to Heli pitcher anatomy, some often slides out through the long side-slit and makes its way into the media, encouraging growth of non-Heli, green, undesirables ... )
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    I know many prefer feeding insects (it's the natural thing) but so far, my preference is for very weak orchid fertilizer in the pitchers* on a weekly basis (weekly weakly)(or as my time allows). Using this approach, there is no overfeeding (and the resulting pitcher loss), the pitchers stay hydrated, all pitchers can be fed (even tiny, immature pitchers) and good growth & regular pitcher production follows.

With a little bit higher humidity, the same approach has been working well for rootless divisions.

* I only put solution within the pitchers but due to Heli pitcher anatomy, some often slides out through the long side-slit and makes its way into the media, encouraging growth of non-Heli, green, undesirables ... )
    +1 so much easier with less issues

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12