What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Am i doing anything wrong?

I wan't to see if there is anything that I am missing regarding Sarracenia dormancy in moderately cold areas such as the DC region.

This is what i understand about overwintering container plants.

Take them out of the water trays
protect them form frost-burn by keeping them in a sheltered place.
use black plastic if it gets too cold
water enough to keep moist
don't let the soil freeze solid

You have some great resources in your neck of the woods. Meadowview Biological Research Station is not too far from DC.

That is the general idea. Cold, not frozen, moist not wet. Sunlight doesn't matter too much during dormancy. Air movement is important. Check for mold often. This is my largest problem during dormancy because I have to store them in the garage which gets little air movement. Pre-treating sarracenia a sulpher based fungicide is a good idea. Otherwise treat if and when mold occurs.

I am not too familar with your area, but I think you are zone 6-7 correct? You may be able to get by with mulching. Something I have no personal experience with so I will not attempt to give you advice with it.

WoW!

Is it already time to think about dormancy AGAIN?! ???
My plants are just coming out of dormancy,
putting up flowers, and showing some growth!

Don't be trying to hurry things so much!
I kinda like the growing season myself.
:-))
I think I will wait until late fall to worry about all that again!

:water:

Its because i think my Sarracenia Dana's delight got frost-burned over dormancy.

Mine stay in my garage each winter and often freeze solid through the colder parts of Jan & Feb. While that originally concerned me, the plants did not mind. There have been a number of threads on this topic if you'd like more in-depth info. Too wet is bad and too dry is bad. Trichoderma 'seems' to help fungal issues (imho).

Seems wise to me to plan ahead rather than scrambling around at the last minute and finding out you have neither the materials, resources or knowledge safely overwinter your plants.

Reminds me of the fable of the Grasshopper and the Ants...

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HAd0jOuQg8o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Anyway, it sounds like you have a pretty good handle on what needs to be done. Protection from the wind is a must in colder climates which is where a tarp comes into play (it doesn't need to be black plastic). Mulching with straw or pine needles is helpful too depending on the severity of your winters. Much depends on if you have an enclosed area you can overwinter the plants or if you have to leave them outdoors.

That reminds me of a funny cartoon I saw in a book which i cant find on Google (probably copyrighted).

Grasshopper: Budget surplus! lets party!

Ant: No lets save it for harder times.

Donkey: I have to go along with the grasshopper.

Elephant: (hold up tax cuts for rich) nah, we'll just give it away.

Mine stay in my garage each winter and often freeze solid through the colder parts of Jan & Feb. While that originally concerned me, the plants did not mind. There have been a number of threads on this topic if you'd like more in-depth info. Too wet is bad and too dry is bad. Trichoderma 'seems' to help fungal issues (imho).

I'm contemplating puting the VFT's & Sarracenias in the garage, inside a couple 80 qt coolers, just to take the edge off the coldest of days. I'm just not sure if that will encourage mold.

Back