What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st Sarracenia in Washington State!

So, I wasn't going to post this due to my previous bad luck and I didn't want to jinx myself.

I bought yet another CP from Lowe's. It looks pretty good and they changed the "Cube" it comes in from the Hard Plastic to more of a softer plastic. There was barely any condensation inside the container because of openings in it, so I took it out and placed it on my Eastern window sill over night. Guess what, I woke up and it looked like Crap! So, I took it outside this morning and placed it into my greenhouse. It now looks like this so I think I will be ok. I leave one side unzipped.

2011-04-20_17-22-09_711.jpg

2011-04-20_17-22-42_505.jpg

I hope this one does well. If not, I am done with Lowe's. I hate seeing them in there though lol. It's like an Animal Shelter. You want to help them all, but it is too expensive.

So, Wish me luck!

Good Luck it should do good Just at least four hours of direct sunlight should do it. But if you wont that purple color you need at least six or seven hours of direct sunlight a day.

That side of my house does pretty good on light. I am hoping it gets all colorful. There are two smaller ones sprouting up as well. Hard to see in the pic, but we shall see :)

Good luck! I've had ok luck with Lowe's so far (I only go because it's the only place around that has any CPs and I can't help myself). I have three of their N. Ventricosa that are doing well, and one Sarracenia that is doing well. I think they just limp along for awhile and scare you until they recover. I would definitely say don't ever get a Ping from them though; I've gotten three of them so far and they all die pathetically. Of course that could just be me!

Thanks xQuinnx :) I really hope it does well. These plants intrigue me so much.

I have had fine experiences with Lowe's plants. I've bought a few plants from there and nothing has died for me. Here's two Sarracenia I got at Lowe's last year and are waking up:

S. purpurea, obviously springing back from dormancy.
1%20(15)%20-%20Copy.JPG

S. flava (my guess) exploding out of dormancy.
1%20(5)%20-%20Copy.JPG

I think you'll be okay. Washington's a good state for growing carnivores, I think you'll have better luck there. ^.^

EDIT: (I think those D. adelae in that second shot are descendants of a D. adelae I got from Lowe's as well.)

WOW! Those are awesome! I can only hope that mine look that good :)

My purp from lowe's is beginning to look amazing. I got it as a dormant rhizome, I'll post pics tomorrow if you'd like.

Absolutely! Did you get the kit that a also had the vft in it?

All plants i have gotten from lowes has ever died except one ping. (insect prob)

Yeah, I am trying to remain positive on this one lol

Hey Dave!

All Lowes must get their shipments on the same day. I went into mine to pick up a nice patch of peat moss and saw fresh stock of CPs! I wanted to buy them all, but left with only one S. Purpurea. I have to admit, the vfts looked great, but that's only because it was their first day at the store. In a week I'm sure they will be leggy and weak looking from lack of good water and light.

I'll post a pic of my Lowes rescue tomorrow! Good luck and keep us updated!

================edit========================================

I repotted mine as soon as I got it home in the new peat moss. I didn't like that fake LFS it was in, it smelled a little funky. However, when I finally unraveled all of the growing media, there were no roots!! I was shocked. It's not surprising because the plant looked very loose in the pot. We will see what happens with some proper care.

Same here mine just got some in this past few weeks. But they were all VFT. I requested that they get some Nepenthes and other genius and they said they would but not this time. Good luck to both of you.

So far it is still standing up tall. I am using the water from my built in refrigerator filter for now and it seems to be doing ok. Fingers Crossed :)

Its 3rd day with me and still looking good. Loving the sun we are getting the last few days. The west coast is starting to grow on me.

2011-04-22_14-07-05_485.jpg

I did move the greenshouse into the back yard. It gets the most sun all day.

2011-04-21_16-03-38_856.jpg

Can't wait to get some more plants. Anyone around the Olympia/Lacey area know if we can buy CP's locally?

The west coast is starting to grow on you, hah. Go visit La Push or the Hoh Rain Forest or pretty much anywhere else up there. Then see what the west coast does to ya. ;)

I envy you Washingtonians, but I do adore Colorado too. The weather here is just too extreme to practically grow plants outdoors without a real greenhouse or something.

Yeah I like it. Don't enjoy the rain so much, but I hear that is tempory haha
Love the mountains and just the view in general. Is so cool to wake up and see Mt. Ranier in the background.

Who knows where I will be in 3 years though. The Army gives me a little choice in that aspect.

Haha, I don't know about counting on the rain being temporary. The 4 Seasons of Seattle Weather. ;p

But yes, it's a beautiful state. I'm sure Mt. Ranier affords some excellent hiking territory, too, if that's your sort of thing.

Yeah, EverDave the rain in pretty constant most of the year...Or at least the overcast greyness. You're kinda seeing Washington at her best now and for the next few months. Winter is pretty depressing and damp...
Reaper is right though, the Hoh rainforest is absolutely amazing and one of my all time favorite places to be.

Yeah I got here in December and it was decent. January until just recently has sucked badly. I am hoping for the best lol

Back