What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fresh Crop of Seedlings

Wow, such rapid growth! They look great, and I am encouraged concerning my little 'big mouth' cross.

Thanks all!

I agree Dex. I got quite a bit of variation just in this batch....from saw teeth to long fingers, green petioles to red petioles and dark blood red traps to a lighter red color. Weird stuff!

Last edited:
Yeah, seriously! The amount of variation is almost unbelievable. Are you sure there was no chance of cross pollination with other cultivars? Or was it a strictly monogamous fertilization?

I wish I could grow flytraps with anything remotely like that success.

Spectacular!! wow! man!! I used to have a tub of seedlings like that. Which I also lost due to a failed dormancy attempt many years ago. lol! (*Story of my life...freeze dried/died* :p ).

If you ever are going to be selling some VFT seed, please notify us...you have some amazing plants there. :D

beautiful plants fred! please keep us updated!

I am so insanely jealous.

Thanks again all.

You know Dex, you got me thinking about whether I grabbed the right seeds when I sowed these VFTs and you were right, they were not monogamous. These were "Big Mouth" seed parent plants but the polen parents were a mixture of "Big Mouth", "B52" and "Royal Red" which explains the variations.

Here are those same VFT "BM" x "BM" seedlings at about 10 months. Pics taken today.
1005712601x800.jpg

1005713601x800.jpg

1005714800x601.jpg

Absolute beauties!! VFT trade one day??:) Thanks for sharing.

your pictures of the your sars is very impressive. what do you do to get your germination rate so high. I have tried several times and so far no luck.

your pictures of the your sars is very impressive. what do you do to get your germination rate so high. I have tried several times and so far no luck.

Thanks. I’ve tried a lot of different methods over the years for germinating sarrs and I’ve had great success with “live” sphagnum but since I moved out to CA, I needed to find an alternative to “live”. So about 4 years ago, I switched to 100% dried New Zealand long fibered sphagnum (crushed) and I think that has been the improved difference for me. I think the strike rate has increased for me along with improved vigor. You have to keep them covered and warm (80+degrees)and an 18hr photo period. Using this method, my sarr seeds germinate in about 15 days on avg. Of course after germination, a light misting of fertilizer doesn’t hurt either. :)

---------- Post added at 09:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 PM ----------

Absolute beauties!! VFT trade one day??:) Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Vic. Trade anytime!!

Great job Fred, those look to be some very happy seedlings! Beautiful colors!:hail:

Thanks Yann! Always a pleasure.

Fred I was just wondering if you fertilize your VFT's also. Mine at 10 months are tiny in comparison to yours

Fred I was just wondering if you fertilize your VFT's also. Mine at 10 months are tiny in comparison to yours

If you do, HOW? Please.

I use a light misting of a diluted orchid fertilizer every 3 weeks or so.

Here is a small pot of mixed hybrid Sarr seedlings that another grower sent my way last June. I transplanted the keepers last weekend and put them outside. I didn't count them but there had to be over 100 in this pot.
1005694800x601.jpg

Breaking up the pot.
1005843800x601.jpg

These were the keepers...about 40.
1005847800x601.jpg

These were culled.
1005846800x601.jpg

culled.. good word. I had to look it up.

Back