What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dry Sarracenia

Wire Man

Sphagnum Guru
I just picked up my North American CPs from my friend's house. The peat was pretty dry and the S. minor is kinda crispy. The base of the leaves are still green, but it's really dry. Will it recover? Everything else seems to be fine.

If the roots dried out they are probably toast. If the roots stayed damp they might be ok. Only time and tender loving care will tell.

I'll check the roots right now. Hoping for the best.

They're a medium brown color and look fairly healthy. The flytraps and purpurae look fine. I can't even find the sundews.

As long as the substrate wasn't bone dry. Water them up and hope for the best.

If you still see green above the soil I would find that a good sign. Give em a drink and sing them a nice love song. And as NaN said, hope for the best.

Temperate dews like intermedia and rotundifolia will often form non-existent winter buds, they may surprise you and pop up when conditions improve.

i agree that if you see green, they'll probably be fine. in my experiences, they can withstand being dried out, as long as it's not for too long. the pitchers may wilt and/or die off, but the rhizome will survive.

i 3rd that statement my sarracenia have also dried up but they lived

Excellent to hear! The mini-bog is saturated now. Hopefully we'll see some new growth soon.

Just checked the roots and corms of the VFTs and purpurae and they look very healthy. One of the VFTs divided, bringing the total to 4. It looks like they're going to come back with a vengeance! The purpurae already has 2 new leaves coming up and the VFTs are already showing new growth. Needless to say I'm very excited that my plants wintered successfully, for the most part.
I also found one of the D. brevifolia. It's completely black.

The S. minor may not have made it. I'm color deficient and cannot see green at all. The majority of the pitchers are brown, with a slight trace of color at the bases. I'll try to upload images tomorrow.

I would'nt worry too much yet. Sarracenia in general can take quite a bit of "hostile treatment". The rhizome itself retains quite a bit of moisture and unless or untill it turns to mush, you should be fine. Ive grown quite a few Sars in my time and Ive dried out a few.. they all seem to rebound nicely.

As a side note, I learned a while back from a former forum member that Sarracenia do best in a bog type bedding and really flourish when kept extremely wet. I followed that advice and planted mine in undrained cement mixing tubs (approx. 26 x 36 x 8) with pure peat moss substrate and flooded with r/o water every day or so. Keep em wet and they will grow like nobodys busines.

Good luck,
Steve

D. brevifolia is pretty much an annual/biennial. They do not form hibernacula when they go dormant. With Drosera I always try to reseed the pot whenever they flower to keep them going.

I'll have to restock on the brevifolia then...... I acquired mine too late in the year for them to flower for me. The rotundifolia has probably met the same fate. Hopefully Meadowview has some more of them.

That's good to hear about the Sarras. I'm watering it everyday right now.

Also, would water from a dehumidifier be safe to use on CPs?

Well if they don't spring back or sprout seedlings and Phil is out of them drop me a note as I can send you some seed or maybe even plants. Meadowview would be good since the plants would be better acclimated to your area.

Dehumidifier or AC condenser runoff is usually ok but you should test it for Total Dissolved Solids and pH. An aquarium/tropical fish/pet store can test a sample. If it has any odor I would be very cautious on using the water.

Anyway, glad to hear your Sarracenia and Dionaea are doing great. Too wet during dormancy can be bad too. A lot of it depends on your local climate.

Sweet, I might have to take you up on that offer.

Luckily, I'm an aquarium guy and have a basic test kit. I'll run the 4 basics next time it fills up. I can't wait to see what the survivors do. It looks like they're growing pretty fast.

Back