Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sarracenia pollinating question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you put it that way.... Sometime between now and next spring, you'll find me at the local craft store getting little net baggies. Actually sooner-- I have some heirloom tomatoes and green beans that need keeping.

Thanks for all the info, guys!
    If you shake a rain stick, you get rain. I need a hamata stick.
    My WWWs

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the tomatoes are "wind" pollinated but you get bigger fruit more seeds if you have a real pollinator. Tested this in the greenhouse. found a tuning fork "C" worked well. Big steel fork lots of vibrations to simulate a large bee visiting the flowers. Initially did it with large forceps in place of tuning fork. PM me I have some net baggies taking up space that could be sent along to you.

PNW: Lowlands of Puget Sound, WA-USA in a frost pocket
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A suggestion. We use "sheer" wedding favor bags fin our field work. The fabric is quite weather resistant/proof and they have a built in drawstring that is easy to undo later. Come in colors so you can spot them easily or hide them. Recommend you remove petals as they might mold (develop botrytis- grey mold) but the bags do breath well protect the capsules/fruit from attack and capturing quite small seeds that shed before you get back to them. We used to use old nylons with rubber bands but broke to many stems that way. Using bits of string require high functioning opposable thumbs ;-) Murphy's Law of Seed Harvesting states that a green pod on Friday afternoon is an empty pod when you return home on Sunday afternoon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kulamauiman View Post
    the tomatoes are "wind" pollinated but you get bigger fruit more seeds if you have a real pollinator. Tested this in the greenhouse. found a tuning fork "C" worked well. Big steel fork lots of vibrations to simulate a large bee visiting the flowers. Initially did it with large forceps in place of tuning fork. PM me I have some net baggies taking up space that could be sent along to you.
    I have a half dozen different heirlooms that I don't want cross-pollinating. Net baggies a must!

PM in 'da mail.

Quote Originally Posted by saturniid View Post
    A suggestion. We use "sheer" wedding favor bags fin our field work. The fabric is quite weather resistant/proof and they have a built in drawstring that is easy to undo later. Come in colors so you can spot them easily or hide them. Recommend you remove petals as they might mold (develop botrytis- grey mold) but the bags do breath well protect the capsules/fruit from attack and capturing quite small seeds that shed before you get back to them. We used to use old nylons with rubber bands but broke to many stems that way. Using bits of string require high functioning opposable thumbs ;-) Murphy's Law of Seed Harvesting states that a green pod on Friday afternoon is an empty pod when you return home on Sunday afternoon.
    Opposable thumbs I have! If Kula's baggies don't have drawstrings yet, I can easily install some. Thanks for the tip on removing the petals. I will do that next time, since all of mine fell off already.

BTW: B-E-A-U-tiful avatar. I once raised some polythemus moths, but the males and females didn't mature at the same time. If those guys (cerecopia?) were in my area, I'd definitely give 'em a try. But they're not.
    If you shake a rain stick, you get rain. I need a hamata stick.
    My WWWs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12