Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spring Sarr Pictures

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    EXCELLENT!

The giant pots of flytraps are especially nice.
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by limeslide View Post
    Great looking plants!

I think the first plant would be S. flava var. flava, rugelii doesn't have any coloration on the pitcher while flava var. flava does.
    You're probably right! I overlooked the fact that rugelii does not have any red on the outside of the pitcher or on the hood. The pitchers did get lots of red veins last year..... Oh, well. I'll just let it do it's thing.
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lookin' good Joel. What are the seedlings?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred P View Post
    Lookin' good Joel. What are the seedlings?
    Thanks! I have multiple seedling pots. Most are crosses from the above plants. Most noticeably, S. oreophila “Alabama” x 'Judith Hindle', S. oreophila “Alabama” x S. x excellens, S. oreophila “Alabama” x “Black and Red”, and S. flava var. ornata x 'Judith Hindle'.

Unfortunately, I am growing them outside and will provide dormancy for the immediate years to come. I don't have the knowledge, resources, or confidence to grow them under lights. So, they'll be sticking around their parents and slowly become adults.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joossa View Post
    Thanks! I have multiple seedling pots. Most are crosses from the above plants. Most noticeably, S. oreophila “Alabama” x 'Judith Hindle', S. oreophila “Alabama” x S. x excellens, S. oreophila “Alabama” x “Black and Red”, and S. flava var. ornata x 'Judith Hindle'.
    Would you want to swap some seedlings this summer? I have a ton of oreophila x 'Leah Wilkerson' that are a month old and seem very vigorous along with a bunch of other crosses to choose from. Just let me know. We could meet half way since we're not that far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred P View Post
    Would you want to swap some seedlings this summer? I have a ton of oreophila x 'Leah Wilkerson' that are a month old and seem very vigorous along with a bunch of other crosses to choose from. Just let me know. We could meet half way since we're not that far.
    I would love to, but there's a catch.

Although I've been growing Sarrs for a couple of years now, last year was my first actual attempt at pollinating, collecting seed, and finally getting them to germinate (this year). Since it was my first time, I figured I'd just wing it, mixed all the seed together before sowing, and then sowed just to see how things would turn out. I know a lot of people may cringe at this because if a nice individual comes out of the batch, we'll never know it's heritage 100%.

I know for sure what crosses I did and what flowers produced seed, but I have no way of telling you what are in my seedling pots with any degree of certainty except by giving you a list of what crosses I made. As for now, I have two pots (16oz. sour cream) with lots of seedlings that are doing great (one of them pictured) and two with less seedlings that are not doing so hot.

If you're still interested shoot me a PM and I can provide more details/pictures. If not, I completely understand.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PM'd

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How well has the Sarracenia purpurea from Canada been growing in warm Southern California? Mine have never like it warm, while yours looks very full.
    "I, for one, can't wait to grow Nepenthes extincta!"
    Plant List ; blog

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast