What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

joossa

Aklys
Hey everyone,

I haven’t shared pictures of my Sarrs in a while, so here goes. =D

This one was given to me as S. flava var. ornata, but I’m beginning to think it’s S. flava var. rugelii

P5200004.jpg

Tub of S. oreophila “Alabama”:

P5200013.jpg

S. purpurea ssp. purpurea [Muskoka, Ontario]:

P5200022.jpg

S. flava var. ornata finally sending out some large, mature pitchers this year:

P5240077.jpg

S. purpurea subsp. venosa var. montana:

P5240096.jpg

S. purpurea f. heterophylla finally waking up. I’m really looking forward to it this season:

P5240101.jpg

Giant S. x excellens (leucophylla 'red' x minor var okenofeensis) opening its first pitcher:

P5240104.jpg

S. leucophylla 'Tarnok' doing what it does in spring:

P5240106.jpg

S. ‘Judith Hindle’ is always nice:

P5240109.jpg

S. x wrigleyana, one of the nicer looking S. psittacina crosses:

P5240114.jpg

S. “Black and Red” (purpurea ssp. venosa x purpurea ssp. purpurea):

P5240124.jpg

Sarr seedlings:

P5240116.jpg

D. filiformis var. tracyii sending up flower stalks:

P5200028.jpg

99 Cent Only VFTs are extremely vigorous:

P5240093.jpg

Group Shot, Table #1:

P5240121.jpg

Group Shot, Table #2:

P5240122.jpg

Your plants are looking great! Good job!

Great looking plants!

I think the first plant would be S. flava var. flava, rugelii doesn't have any coloration on the pitcher while flava var. flava does.

Very beautiful plants:)!

Nice collection!

nice pics!
your wrigleyana is definitely the cultivar 'Scarlett belle'

Oh wow, nice! Makes me ashamed that I've gotta go through and clean up and prune my plants some too. That's amazing that you've got so many leaves on everything already. My Sarrs mostly are just barely starting on their 2-3 pitchers, and my VFTs are definitely not that full by a long shot!

:0o:
Everylook looks perfectly incredible!!!

EXCELLENT! :-O

The giant pots of flytraps are especially nice.

Thanks guys!

Great looking plants!

I think the first plant would be S. flava var. flava, rugelii doesn't have any coloration on the pitcher while flava var. flava does.

You're probably right! I overlooked the fact that rugelii does not have any red on the outside of the pitcher or on the hood. The pitchers did get lots of red veins last year..... Oh, well. I'll just let it do it's thing.

Lookin' good Joel. What are the seedlings?

Lookin' good Joel. What are the seedlings?

Thanks! I have multiple seedling pots. Most are crosses from the above plants. Most noticeably, S. oreophila “Alabama” x 'Judith Hindle', S. oreophila “Alabama” x S. x excellens, S. oreophila “Alabama” x “Black and Red”, and S. flava var. ornata x 'Judith Hindle'.

Unfortunately, I am growing them outside and will provide dormancy for the immediate years to come. I don't have the knowledge, resources, or confidence to grow them under lights. So, they'll be sticking around their parents and slowly become adults.

Thanks! I have multiple seedling pots. Most are crosses from the above plants. Most noticeably, S. oreophila “Alabama” x 'Judith Hindle', S. oreophila “Alabama” x S. x excellens, S. oreophila “Alabama” x “Black and Red”, and S. flava var. ornata x 'Judith Hindle'.

Would you want to swap some seedlings this summer? I have a ton of oreophila x 'Leah Wilkerson' that are a month old and seem very vigorous along with a bunch of other crosses to choose from. Just let me know. We could meet half way since we're not that far. :)

Would you want to swap some seedlings this summer? I have a ton of oreophila x 'Leah Wilkerson' that are a month old and seem very vigorous along with a bunch of other crosses to choose from. Just let me know. We could meet half way since we're not that far. :)

I would love to, but there's a catch. :blush:

Although I've been growing Sarrs for a couple of years now, last year was my first actual attempt at pollinating, collecting seed, and finally getting them to germinate (this year). Since it was my first time, I figured I'd just wing it, mixed all the seed together before sowing, and then sowed just to see how things would turn out. I know a lot of people may cringe at this because if a nice individual comes out of the batch, we'll never know it's heritage 100%. :cry:

I know for sure what crosses I did and what flowers produced seed, but I have no way of telling you what are in my seedling pots with any degree of certainty except by giving you a list of what crosses I made. As for now, I have two pots (16oz. sour cream) with lots of seedlings that are doing great (one of them pictured) and two with less seedlings that are not doing so hot.

If you're still interested shoot me a PM and I can provide more details/pictures. If not, I completely understand. :usa2:

How well has the Sarracenia purpurea from Canada been growing in warm Southern California? Mine have never like it warm, while yours looks very full.

How well has the Sarracenia purpurea from Canada been growing in warm Southern California? Mine have never like it warm, while yours looks very full.

So far so good. I got it in January of this year though, so we'll see how it does once the summer heat hits. So far though, it's one of my fastest growing purps.

99 cent traps? - Where did you find those? - outstanding collection

99 cent traps? - Where did you find those? - outstanding collection

Thanks! Yes, the flytraps were from the 99 Cent Only stores from here in Southern California (thank you LACPS LISTSERV and NaN). I think I got them back in 2008.

Back