What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fertilized Flowers??

Hello members! I had a quick question as I am fairly new to sarracenia and I just bought a couple from a local plant show at the Huntington Estate.

I was wondering...are the flowers on my sarracenia flava fertile? I bought the plants with the flowers already present so I have no idea if they were pollenated or not?

One of the flowers:
2r25b8x.jpg

Same flower, closer view:
2a768lg.jpg

Thank you for your opinon/advice! :)

Last edited:
looks like you'll have seeds in a few months

I've seen enough "false pregnancies". The only way to really tell is when the capsule splits open - either on its own or by your hand - in the fall.

I second NAN !!

Seed pod size has no relation to the number of seeds inside. You could have zero, or 500 in there.

I am not asking about the number of seeds but merely if the flower is fertilized or not lol :p

It won't look any different whether it's fertilised and bursting with seeds, or unfertilised and empty.

TheKraken: Once the petals have fallen from a sarracenia flower, the opportunity to pollinate has passed. I find that when the flower, which is normally hanging down in full petal, drops its petals and bends back up to a horizontal position, it has been pollinated. Whether or not you actually get seed...you'll have to wait until this fall when the pod breaks open. The simple answer, though...no more pollinating this flower this season. If you get seed, though, you'll have fun figuring out what the result is!

Back