User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 9 to 16 of 22

Thread: Cephalotus follicularis..with a bunch of buddies

  1. #9
    Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,806
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the comments and love guys. I must thank my good buddy AV here for teaching me about the cephs. The lepanthes, it was mostly thanks to the many people who share their pictures. Its hard to find a lot of info about growing lepanthes, so you just gotta take a plunge and see what works. Thankfully, so far its going fine.

  2. #10
    Nevermore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    SW, Ohio
    Posts
    309
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oooooo nice telipogoniflora... one of the best. I had one years ago, but never grew and flowered like yours. Have you ever tried Telipogons?

  3. #11
    eou812's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,030
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the nicest Cephalotus i have ever seen congrats.

  4. #12

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    318
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice ceph, it looks really nice. My ceph is in a hill in a mixture of silica sand and peat, and a thin layer of silica sand in the outer layer, here's a pic, the ceph doesn't look like this now, it is recovering from transplant shock, so all the beauty is gone,but is been replace with new small pitchers on the way, but it is growing, that means the more airy the soil, the better. Althought, i think humidity inside the greenhouse is somewhere near 70% or above because i have my utric bucket which raises the humidity and a pan full of LM with water, also my neps are in LFSM and are next to my ceph, so i sprinkle water every day to it, i think humidity needs to be higher(or the ceph needs it more), i might add LV on top of the thin layer so that it provides more humidity. Anyway, here's the pic:


  5. #13
    Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,806
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevermore View Post
    oooooo nice telipogoniflora... one of the best. I had one years ago, but never grew and flowered like yours. Have you ever tried Telipogons?
    thanks! Sorry to hear about ur loss. As I said, its sadly hard to find much info about these orchids. Sometimes u just need to jump in and try. I guess you atleast know what not to do next time.

    Nope...haven't tried any telipogons yet. I think I am infatuated with the lepanthes genus for now.

    Quote Originally Posted by eou812 View Post
    One of the nicest Cephalotus i have ever seen congrats.
    thanks man. There's a lot of other nice ones out here on TF.

    Quote Originally Posted by jht-union View Post
    Very nice ceph, it looks really nice. My ceph is in a hill in a mixture of silica sand and peat, and a thin layer of silica sand in the outer layer, here's a pic, the ceph doesn't look like this now, it is recovering from transplant shock, so all the beauty is gone,but is been replace with new small pitchers on the way, but it is growing, that means the more airy the soil, the better. Althought, i think humidity inside the greenhouse is somewhere near 70% or above because i have my utric bucket which raises the humidity and a pan full of LM with water, also my neps are in LFSM and are next to my ceph, so i sprinkle water every day to it, i think humidity needs to be higher(or the ceph needs it more), i might add LV on top of the thin layer so that it provides more humidity. Anyway, here's the pic:
    Cute little guy. Good job with the potting. Looks great. The extra humidity is essential while cephs are settling in. Just make sure it doesn't get too hot and ensure that there is adequate air movement.

  6. #14
    mass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    8,144
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    gorgeous cephs.. you mind sharing the media secret your using?

  7. #15
    Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,806
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vraev View Post
    Thanks guys. Actually the cephs are planted in a standard mix I learnt from Av. Its roghly 50% peat, 40% bark and 10% perlite. Basically any mix with less peat is better IMO as it keeps it open. I have even added charcoal and the cephs don't care. Just remember...the more open the better. Balance is important...it still needs a bit of humidity. The moss is a top dressing as I have gotten some algae problems due to tank growing. The moss is thankfully retarding algal growth.
    Quote Originally Posted by mass View Post
    gorgeous cephs.. you mind sharing the media secret your using?
    No secret with the minerals and organic components, the mix I mentioned is exactly as above. Although...ratios may change everytime as I measure by handfuls.

  8. #16
    mass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    8,144
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    huh.. bark. That's a new one. I'll have to give it a go.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •