User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: White and fluffy parasites, ohno!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

White and fluffy parasites, ohno!

I found a mealy on one of my S.purps that luckily is faaar away from everything else but some pygmy dews. Can I use the Bayer rose pest spray stuff on Sarrs & Drosera without them melting to get rid of them? And will it harm any other kind of CP if it gets on them if it gets caught in the wind and accidentally lands on them?

They kinda look like this
    http://mrec.ifas.ufl.edu/lso/tn_longtail3_jpg.jpg

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bayer works fine on sarrs, however the pitchers that are developing will look sorta narly...

Ive used it on all my CP's with the exception of drosera.... dunno bout them..... works great on VFT's, helis, cephs, neps, sarrs

Since its partly systemic, maybe "water" the drosera with it if required

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nast looking parasite you got there! Theres quite a few rose products for insect control from bayer...

Not sure which product you have but I'm looking at the rose and flower insect killer by Bayer and do not recognize the active ingredients as being a SAFE/workable insecticide for CP's..... I don't know much though being lucky with experiencing pest problems, but maybe theres someone out there that has had successful experience using this product>

I just picked up a small neem oil concentrate from amazon for pretty cheap.... got to me in under a weeks time...

*Ah AV you've answered that maybe question.....

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW, the bayer does a number to bees.... so if the sarrs are still in flowr, pinch those

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not unsual to see an ocassional mealy on sarras where the old leaves meet the rhizome. So long as its an isolated incident and not a n infestation, you'll be okay. This is why it's important to remove old growth every year to avoid creating pockets where mealies can breed.
    "There is no pain as great as being alive,
    no burden heavier than that of conscious life. "
    -Rubén Darío-

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mealybugs are the scourge of my Sarracenia.

I've used the Bayer Advanced Rose and Flower Insect killer on Utricularia, Drosera (include pygmy and South American), Dionaea, Cephalotus and Nepenthes. The only ill effects I've ever seen once were red blotches on developing pitchers, most likely a reaction to sunlight.

Spray in the evening to avoid photo-reactivity and minimize collateral damage to bees.

If the mealybugs get in the roots you'll have to drench the soil at 6x (as per directions) the concentration of the spray. The same stuff is sold as Complete Insect Killer for Soil and Turf. Check the labels as there maybe two formulations - you want the one with same active ingredients (Imidacloprid and a pyrethroid) as the Rose and Flower stuff. I've used this concentration on Sarracenia, Drosera and Dionaea with not ill effects.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey not a number, just for possible future reference, is that 6x concentration or 1/6 normale concentration?

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spray is 1/2 tablespoon of concentrate per gallon of water. For soil pests it's 3 tablespoons of concentrate per gallon of water.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast