Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tips for big nectar spoons?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tips for big nectar spoons?

So, I received an H. minor "Red" from Ron after the NASC auction. It's producing pitchers close to the size of the ones it came with, but the nectar spoons are TEENY. Like, the size of a teeny ant, as opposed to the size of a small lentil.

Currently it is growing under ~5000 lumens of T5 HO lighting, with ~75%-85% humidity, and with temps as high as 85 degrees Fahrenheit, and as low as 60. It is potted in 100% live sphagnum, in one of those net-like cherry tomato container. Such as:

So, my question is, how do I get those big delicious nectar spoons?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're doing everything right, only thing I would say is drop the temps lower to the fifties. Nectar spoons are a sign of maturity as larger, established plants will produce these spoons on a consistent basis. Since yours is a division, it might take a year before you get those nice spoons.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They will take all the light you can give them plus five, so as long as you can keep the temps down, irradiate them! It helps them develop really nice nectar spoons

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's all about insufficient light. Most successful growers of Heliamphora maximize on the lighting. Perhaps moving the plant closer to the element would help . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've not grown any Heliamphora species yet, so feel free to slap me all you like but I think it may need higher humidity than that. Nepenthes make tiny lids if they hit a dry spell when inflating their pitchers and wind up looking slightly retarded in their top pitcher growth and they get the "Little Lid Syndrome" - I'm guessing the "Little Spoon Syndrome" may be the same. If you could boost your humidity 10% more you might get over that hump.

Hear the Call of Nepenthes carnivoure12's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I divided my H. minor it reverted back to less developed pitcher, some even went back to immature pitchers. Just keep giving it good light and eventually, it'll make them again.

The humidity is fine, they don't really need high humidity.
    Last edited by carnivoure12; 06-07-2011 at 08:36 PM.
    -Carnivoure12
    →Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone, such fast responses!

Is there any possibility that these little nectar spoons could be due to a repot? Both pitchers were developing when I received them. Sometimes with my neps, developing pitchers get that little lid syndrome if I've repotted the plant early in their development. Different types of plants though, so it's just a guess.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucanidae View Post
    Is there any possibility that these little nectar spoons could be due to a repot? Both pitchers were developing when I received them. Sometimes with my neps, developing pitchers get that little lid syndrome if I've repotted the plant early in their development. Different types of plants though, so it's just a guess.
    I would say that it probably does. I just got a little H. minor in the mail a few weeks ago, it had one adult pitcher and is now making another, but i can already tell that it will have almost no nectar spoon on it what so ever.
    "The plants you grow, end up growing you."

My Grow List:
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123995

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast