What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pitcher of the Month Sarracenia Edition - June 2011

VOTING! Pitcher of the Month Sarracenia Edition - June 2011

I have permission from both adnerdarn and mass, yay! :)

Post your best Sarracenia photos and have a friendly competition with other members to see who has the best photo/plant! The winner receives bragging rights and overall feeling of awesomeness.

Rules of Entry:
0. I love you!
1. Only ONE (1) PLANT, as in ONE (1) RHIZOME (various growth points are okay) per member may be entered in any particular month.
2. All pictures must be taken in the month of entry into the contest.
3. Entries are restricted to cultivated plants.
4. Contestants may post as many times and as many pictures of their entry as they like until contest closing on 06/30/11
5. Sequential pictures showing development of the plant are fine as long as all pictures are taken within the month of the contest.
6. If, for some reason, a single plant cannot be isolated and a group shot is necessary, then the particular plant entered must be clearly identified in your post. If possible, closeups of pitchers of the specified plant are welcome.
7. Plant must have been grown by owner at least six months prior to photo.
8. Times of Contest and Poll openings and closings are to be understood as CST.
9. Judging by forum members and guests in a poll opening on 07/01/11, closing 07/08/11. The THREE (3) most popular entries will be considered "Winners" and the first place winner will be posted in some thread or other soon. :p
** Please remember to clearly identify your entry!

Yeah, excuse the copy-pasta from the Nepenthes POTM, but the rules were mostly the same with some minor changes, so an entire re-write would be unnecessary. The reason of being able to enter the entire plant is for the reason that [most] Sarracenia grow their pitchers in a tight form and all the pitchers are mostly identical copies of each other, excluding a single pitcher would be a big trouble most of the time. So, enjoy!

Contest will be closed on June 30th at 12:00am CST.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Can I post an entry from my internship? I've been working with the plants closely.

Can I post an entry from my internship? I've been working with the plants closely.

Sure, you are technically their owner as you care for them, correct? :)

S.alata "Heavy veined"
Salata_5-27-11.jpg

Sarracenia 'Judith Hindle'... I'm waiting for next month to pull out the big guns ;)
IMG_3526-1.jpg

looking forward to seeing the entries. hopefully i can add some before June is over. things are so behind where I'm at - in the middle of flowering right now.

S.flava ornata black veins semi-dwarf 'seedling' because it's still a small plant:
P6090045.jpg

P6090046.jpg

P6090047.jpg

P6090048.jpg

P6090049.jpg

For some reason the red S. flava's are really nice looking this year. I had a lot of trouble deciding between the Kimber and a sharp-looking red-tube ..... However, those huge red lids won ... :-O

S. flava var cuprea "Kimber 'Red Ruffles" (or sometimes called a var atropurpurea)... (it's the one in the middle with two pitchers that look sort-of red ...) :-))
Sflavakimber061011RS.jpg

Apologies for the poor lighting & poor composition & poor background & poor all sorts of stuff ... :crazy:

Unrelated side question on rule clarification: Rule 0 - is Limeslide hitting on me? :scratch:

For some reason the red S. flava's are really nice looking this year. I had a lot of trouble deciding between the Kimber and a sharp-looking red-tube ..... However, those huge red lids won ... :-O

S. flava var cuprea "Kimber 'Red Ruffles" (or sometimes called a var atropurpurea)... (it's the one in the middle with two pitchers that look sort-of red ...) :-))

Apologies for the poor lighting & poor composition & poor background & poor all sorts of stuff ... :crazy:

Ugh... I shouldn't have entered now if *this* is how you're gonna be :lol:

Gonna be hard to top the Kimber Red Ruffles. Here is my entry for the month. Too bad I couldn't use my first pics of it, they were taken a few days before June started.

S. 'Craig Rudman'

img0065ol.jpg

img0069dx.jpg

img0068cb.jpg

S. x catesbaei

IMG_5916.jpg

DSC_0040.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg

CSC_0074.jpg

CSC_0072.jpg

S. Daina's Delight.. Shame I couldn't post my Leah... hasn't been 6 monthes yet. :p

sarracenia said:
not to be nitpicky, but i don't think that is daina's delight
Maybe not... but since I got back into the hobby this Feb (I've had these plants for couple years, but didn't really pay too much attention) .. I don't remember what else this could be., nothing on my GL could be this...

Well I stumbled upon this contest last night and thought it sounded like fun. I've entered the Nepenthes monthly contest before but never this one. Neps are more my forte but I do have a handful of Sarrs. Here's my first entry, folks...

Sarracenia moorei

icemansyr

Sarracenia [gilpinii x rubra] x minor Okefenokee Giant

_IGP0633.jpg

_IGP0631.jpg
_IGP0630.jpg

I was waiting for someone to make this thread finally! Great idea.

My entry:

Sarracenia psittacina, because let's face it, this is the coolest Sarracenia of them all. :D

I hope my socks with sandals don't disqualify me. :banana2:

DSCN6042.jpg

DSCN6041.jpg

DSCN6040.jpg

DSCN6039.jpg

I've been looking after this one for a while now.

S. flava ornata

Bloody Axe by Wire Man, on Flickr

S. Leucophylla "Tarnok", been growing since the summer of 2009.

tarnok01.jpg

tarnok03.jpg

tarnok04.jpg

Back