What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My cephs home

???Yesterday I got a new cephalotus !!! I do not know what type it is , also i have only had one ceph before and it died .what should i do so this does not happen again ? what should i feed it ? do these questions differ from different types ?:poke:I will try to say what type when i figure it out !......... if i figure it out

---------- Post added at 01:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 PM ----------

also i keep it with my hamatas at 85-99 % humidity and temp of 62-75

---------- Post added at 01:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 PM ----------

is this temp+humidity ok

---------- Post added at 01:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:36 PM ----------

i wonder what type it is ....

???Yesterday I got a new cephalotus !!! I do not know what type it is , also i have only had one ceph before and it died .what should i do so this does not happen again ? what should i feed it ? do these questions differ from different types ?:poke:I will try to say what type when i figure it out !......... if i figure it out

---------- Post added at 01:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 PM ----------

Well.....I can tell you how I keep mine successfully, if it helps you out any.

I keep mine in my HL growchamber with temps of 45-65F winter temps and 65-75F summer temps, with 85-90% humidity. I have a large fan in my chamber and I keep the cephs i near it since they enjoy extra airflow. I have them 8in under a 8 bulb T5 HO fixture with a photoperiod ranging from 11 hours in the winter, to 14 hours in the summer. For soil I use a mix of equal parts perlite/peat/sand/charcoal/find bark. I water it by topwatering, I never use the tray method. For feeding I use ants, or when I can't get them, betta pellets. I also root feed using a few osmocote pellets pushed down into the soil around the plant every 6 months.

Hope this helps.

do you use distilled , r.o , or tap

If you have good quality tap, you may be able to get away with it because it wont be sitting in the water via the tray method.

I always water my cephalotus with distilled water. I use my sprayer to saturate the soil as best i can. Periodically i put it in a little saucer of water and let it drink the whole thing.

Hope this helps, good luck,
CJ

thanks also i have a fridge that has a fine filter and this water comes from the prefiltered tap which is from a well so the fridge is x2 times better water

is this any better ? ?

---------- Post added at 07:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:27 PM ----------

i probably should have called this post ceph care !!!

---------- Post added at 01:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 PM ----------

is this temp+humidity ok

---------- Post added at 01:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:36 PM ----------

i wonder what type it is ....
If you received it as a Cephalotus with no name then should be labelled as 'Cephalotus follicularis'. Naming it as anything else, based on what you think it might be is wrong, as you will never know for sure and neither will anyone else, with the possible exception of who supplied it to you. If it was a named clone then I'm sure the seller would have labelled it as such.

In my opinion 85-99% humidity is quite high for this species and without adequate ventilation it could cause rot. See typical climate statistics here: http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averages/tables/cw_009500_All.shtml. I grow nearly all of mine on a sunny windowsill, using the tray method, where they grow well.

I would not even consider feeding it until it has settled in for at least a few months. It will not need feeding and doing so will just increase the risk of something going wrong right now.

thanks also i have a fridge that has a fine filter and this water comes from the prefiltered tap which is from a well so the fridge is x2 times better water
If the well water has a high mineral content then the water is still likely to have high mineral content even after being filtered, which long term the plant will not like. Even if it's top watered it will build up in the medium. You would need to measure the water TDS to be sure, otherwise you would be best to use rainwater or RO water.

well mobile my plant was from a person that i know and it was labeled cephalotus follicularis ..... my spelling may be off. also i have fed it but it was under simmalar conditions when i bought it !

---------- Post added at 08:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 PM ----------

ok good i keep it at conditions you say are right !!!

---------- Post added at 08:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 PM ----------

Sorry if I appeared to be a little 'to-the-point' but one of my dislikes is plants being mislabelling based on what they might be, as this can lead to contamination of the true cultivars or names clones. This ultimately can lead to people getting plants that are not what they are supposed to be.

I'd say that if your plant is green, with no colouration, then it is not receiving sufficient light.

well it is mosly green but does have some red leaves !!!

---------- Post added at 07:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:08 PM ----------

well at least if it is not getting enough light im moving it to a more lighted terrarium soon

---------- Post added at 07:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 PM ----------

and it will have the same conditions

I would verify the quality of your water, since Cephalotus can be touchy to mineral-laden water. I would also wait to feed or fertilize it until it settles in to your local growing conditions . . .

Back