What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Introduction to Sarracenias needed

As some have you may realised, I'm new to the CP world and have only recently started growing. I understand the basics with neps, flytraps and sundews however I'm completely clueless about Sarracenia. I'm planning on getting a sarr soon as they're definately a gorgeous plant! I've had a look at online vendors although I want to be informed before buying one. I'm wondering if some species are easier to grow than others? Are there particular ones which are like the N x Ventrata of the sarracenia world (for lack of a better word, almost 'generic')? What conditions do they like and how long do they usually take to flower? Thanks for any advice or insight! :D

Probably an S. flava maybe your best bet - if you're growing indoors, then perhaps S. purpurea.

S. 'Judith Hindle' is probably the N. xVentrata of the sarracenia world. Followed closely by S. 'Dana's Delight' aka Diana's Delight as it was intended to be called.

Sarracenia care is very similar to flytrap care. In my house they are treated the exact same and grow side by side in the same soil, light, and water conditions.

They usually flower in 3-5 years from seed. Most plants you buy from nurseries are divisions from mature plants so some can flower the following year while others may take a year or two to recover from being divided before they flower again. Really depends on how large of a divsion it is I think.

Thanks a lot! Was i right in hearing that thye don't go dormant, just stop growing for the winter?

All Sarrs go dormant during the winter and require the same conditions as a dormant flytrap.

If you're planning on growing indoors, the small sarrs: psittacina, purpurea, and some rubras are good choices due to their smaller sizes.

I agree with dashman about S. 'Judith Hindle' and S. 'Dana's Delight,' although S. 'Cobra's Nest' is another cultivar that's becoming just as ubiquitous - but it doesn't sport that beautiful white coloration from S. leucophylla that the others have, it is very vigorous and practically unkillable. I've seen far more of that one than of the other two, in Utah at least. Luckily for you, there are a lot of good sources for CPs in Europe so you have a pretty decent selection to choose from over there.

Thanks for clearing that up :D Which is genereally smaller, leucophylla or flava? Size isn't too much of an issue as I can easily move them outside although I would prefer growing them on a sunny windowsill simply because I'd have more oppurtunities to see them throughout the day!

Hi Tom

They are sun worshippers so you'll need a sunny windowsill. Taller plants also might grow a bit leggy with the light only on one side. If you can grow outside be aware that not all sarracenia will thrive and would do better under glass.

All very similar to keep, but for a windowsill I would recommend 'Juthatip Soper' as a nice starter plant:

v37n2p45f2.jpg

Sarracenia purpurea ssp. venosa is more compact and would also do well:

Sarracenia%20purpurea%20spp.%20venosa%20var.%20Burkei%20(Small).jpg

For outside, Sarracenia purpurea ssp. purpurea thrives in our climate:

S_purp_purp.jpg

Try emailing Mike King at Shropshire Sarracenias

he has loads of Juthatips and purpureas for sale.

Thanks a lot for the advice :) At the moment I'm thinking of getting S.flava var rugelii Blackwater Florida because I love the yellow and the blotch. My windowsill gets light from both sides as it is south facing and the sun tracks across it throughout the day, I bought a fly trap a few months back and it's turned into a bit of a beast on the windowsill although in the summer I plan on moving it outside if needs be. I might be being naive but I think a sarracenia could thrive there, have you had any experience with flavas on a windowsill? I'd love to know if its possible! Thanks :D

Back