User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Helimaphora from seed: old school and new school . . .

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    colchicine...isn't at a microtubule poison? remember it from a university course based purely and even called BIO 3N03 or something: CYTOPLASM.

;p

Either way...BigB....awsome as always David. You are your "place where the bodies are scattered".

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

suite

Bonjour

my seeds came from 'in situ ' , grown only on the peat , are well developed but never reach their adult stage, you have a solution?

jeff

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jeff,

It would seem that the plants germinated for you; but it can take several years for some species of Heliamphora to begin to produce adult pitchers. H. glabra was over four years old before its first adult leaves formed. Andreas Wistuba once suggested that trimming the juvenile leaves could spur on the growth of the mature; and that worked for me -- but it could also have been the age of the specific plants as well . . .
    Last edited by BigBella; 06-22-2011 at 10:19 AM.
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Slack-jawed punk that I am, I just realized that I misspelled Heliamphora at the beginning of the thread. Oh well . . .

Anyway, here is a flask of Heliamphora seeds from Monday; and I realized -- through lack of sleep coupled with potential stupidity -- that I added an excess of sucrose to the media (I added 25 grams that would be used for 1 liter, instead of the 12.5 needed for half). The risk is that any remnant fungal spores, what-have-you will run rampant and eat Cleveland. The flip-side is that I'll be able to re-sterilize and re-plate the seeds should it become necessary.

Heliamphora sp. "Angasima" (?)

Last edited by BigBella; 06-22-2011 at 03:40 PM.
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have always wanted to try TC but have always been too afraid that i would screw up or get the mixes wrong, and the money for flasks and mixes and such so ya maybe one day i will give in to TC but for now i will admire and tremble in fear about screwing up mixes lol

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nep Lover View Post
    i have always wanted to try TC but have always been too afraid that i would screw up or get the mixes wrong, and the money for flasks and mixes and such so ya maybe one day i will give in to TC but for now i will admire and tremble in fear about screwing up mixes lol
    It's amazingly simple to a great degree and the containers could be most anything small with an airtight lid. A friend uses cheapo Rubbermaid-style containers with a clear top from a dollar store; others use baby food bottles and many other things. When I ran short of supplies, I found empty spice jars with screw-on lids at Bed, Bath, and Beyond -- even though I swore never to step foot inside of such a place, where you can get a nasal hair trimmer/vegetable peeler for cheap. There are also a great deal of online resources and clubs that offer discounted materials for membership and teach how to do TC on a shoestring budget. The single thing I wouldn't scrimp on is a decent pH meter -- one which can be easily calibrated.

Show me someone who hasn't screwed up a mix and I'll show you a liar. As Socrates once said, "There are two types of motorcycle riders: those that have been down and those who are going down . . ."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol i bet there are plenty that screwed up mixes, i may have to give it a shot and see how things go

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nep Lover View Post
    lol i bet there are plenty that screwed up mixes, i may have to give it a shot and see how things go
    Well, yeah, there are plenty of mistakes to be had; and if you read this thread from its beginning, I admitted to having screwed up the mix of this very batch -- since I had been accustomed to making it by the liter and rarely halved it. A friend forgot the gelling agent in a batch of Nepenthes seed last year and discovered, quite be accident, that she had far better results with a liquid media.

Go figure . . .

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast