User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Helimaphora from seed: old school and new school . . .

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

suite

I know this period between the juvenil and the adult stage , but here 8 year it is too long .

probably other thing returns into account , but what?

WISTUBA tell me that some juvenils still juvenils all the time , but nothing more, it is a pitty.

not others idea

jeff

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff 2 View Post
    I know this period between the juvenil and the adult stage , but here 8 year it is too long .

probably other thing returns into account , but what?

WISTUBA tell me that some juvenils still juvenils all the time , but nothing more, it is a pitty.

not others idea

jeff
    You mean to say that you've had Heliamphora plants with juvenile leaves for eight years? I hadn't heard of that, though some growers of H. elongata and H. glabra (mine took 4.5 years) have complained of their five year old plants still sporting juvenile leaves.

Do you fertilize or feed the juvenile pitchers? Many growers in the US are aggressive about fertilizing them. If I recall correctly, you had the plants growing in straight peat moss; and you may wish to transplant them into a different, aerier media, such as a long fiber sphagnum moss / pumice-based compost or one cedar-based; oftentimes that can do wonders.

Have the plants been re-planted at all during this period? Peat degrades over time and loses a bit of its acidity with it. Perhaps your pH is too high for these acid-loving plants. A different media is the best suggestion I have without seeing the plants themselves . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While not a product of the seed above -- and for the few interested -- here is a growing liquid culture of Heliamphora neblinae var. parva, from a tiny piece of rhizome that had broken off, when I received the plant from Wistuba . . .

Heliamphora neblinae var. parva (rhizome) 29 June 2011
    Last edited by BigBella; 06-29-2011 at 06:00 PM.
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a beautiful site to see! Awesome work Bella!

Previously known as: NY Plant Nerd

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

suite

Bonjour

all the 3 year I repotting my plants ( the adult) to avoid this peat deterioration

for the juvenils the repotting is more frequent .

no fertilizer for my heliamphora just in the good period ( actually here) alive insect ( forficula auricularia and eurydema ornatum principally) for the adult .

I would always to stay close enough a 'in situ' substrate

to boost the growing and to move from juvenile to adult may be I could use trichoderma , what do you think of this solution ?

interressant this infos on your liquid culture , what it is ? tell us about the following

jeff

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff 2 View Post
    to boost the growing and to move from juvenile to adult may be I could use trichoderma , what do you think of this solution ?

jeff
    Trichoderma is primarily used as a preventative measure -- a plant symbiont -- against harmful fungi present in the growing media (and a possible source of "Heliamphora Sudden Death" see: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=126426). It is not intended as a fertilizer.

The liquid media you asked about is Knudsen C -- an orchid Tissue Culture formula (composed of essential salts, sugar and plant hormones); and I simply did not add the gelling agent to a few containers as an experiment.

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    David, why can't u TC some of your awsome Nepenthes seed that you get. Man!! That would put an end to the concerns of limited clone selection for species like hamata, macrophylla etc. Heck...u could have made a bucket load of money with the macrophylla if you had TCed some.

But I am sure u must have tried it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vraev View Post
    David, why can't u TC some of your awsome Nepenthes seed that you get. Man!! That would put an end to the concerns of limited clone selection for species like hamata, macrophylla etc. Heck...u could have made a bucket load of money with the macrophylla if you had TCed some.

But I am sure u must have tried it.
    I have put a few Nepenthes species into culture, though primarily as a way of aseptically germinating valuable seeds (though not for multiplication, as yet); and have sent a number of cultures overseas in recent years, since they are far simpler to transport through customs than are plants . . .

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast