User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Helimaphora from seed: old school and new school . . .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very nice sir! glad to witness the "pros" doing it!
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amphirion View Post
    very nice sir! glad to witness the "pros" doing it!

What are you talking about, Jon? You beat me to it . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    but im not pro....
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a shot of a newly-sprouted Heliamphora seed -- approximately two days old -- suspended in a wad of Knudsen-C Orchid (TC) Media. Strangely, the seed was lagging behind those which had been planted in conventional compost on 16 June; and it is usually quite the opposite.

There's always room for Jello . . .

Heliamphora sp. Angasima
    -- 18 July

Last edited by BigBella; 07-29-2011 at 03:55 PM.
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very nice David! kinda weird that the TC'ed ones are falling behind the conventional planted ones...looking forward to seeing more progress.
    +growlist
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amphirion View Post
    very nice David! kinda weird that the TC'ed ones are falling behind the conventional planted ones...looking forward to seeing more progress.
    It may also have been my keeping the cultures in lower light conditions for a week or more; that serves to give the seed a "head start" against any remaining contaminants that may still be present -- and to slow that potential growth . . .

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

suite

great success, but in fact on fresh seed , germination is not difficult even on peat alone or in sphagnum moss.

have you had difficulties to move from juvenile to adult?

I return to my problem of juvenile plants from seeds and remaining juvenil, I would love to solve

jeff

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff 2 View Post
    great success, but in fact on fresh seed , germination is not difficult even on peat alone or in sphagnum moss.

have you had difficulties to move from juvenile to adult?

I return to my problem of juvenile plants from seeds and remaining juvenil, I would love to solve

jeff
    I have grown Heliamphora from seed on several occasions over the years and have found that the germination rate -- even among the freshest of sources (harvested a day before sowing) -- may be often species-specific. Of the three species planted or introduced into culture within the last month, there are a couple that still remain "inactive," even though they are of seemingly the same freshness and age.

I have yet to experience the issue that you had mentioned -- that permanent state of juvenile leaves (at least with seed-grown plants); but some species are far quicker to mature than others. I have several plants which have reached flowering maturity; while there are those which remain far slower to mature -- Heliamphora elongata among them . . .