What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Helimaphora from seed: old school and new school . . .

Here is a photo from this afternoon of some seedlings. Some species are certainly more vigorous than others when it comes to germination, considering that all of the seed was of similar freshness . . .

Heliamphora sp. "Angasima" (?) 28 July
HELISPROUTS-1.jpg

Last edited:
OMG :ohno: you have soooo many!!

lol...what are you going to do with them all? XD

Here is a bit of progress since 18 July of my latest batch of Heliamphora seed germinated aseptically in TC media. Though it is a bit difficult to see, cotyledons have been produced.

Heliamphora sp. "Angasima" 4 August

HANGASIMA-1.jpg

Bravissimo, Maestro David

Grazie mille . . . Signore Butcho . . .

Here's a shot of one of the several cultures, as of this morning:

Heliamphora sp. "Angasima"

HELISEED.jpg

Does this tissue culture seed method work for nepenthes?

How exactly is this done?

@lance: same way how the heliamphora seed are...you have the TC media prepared, with cleaned/sterilized seed, and that is placed in the media.

How exactly is this done?

I would encourage you to check out the tissue culture forum at www.flytrapcare.com, where there are overviews of the process, which involves making the solid or liquid media; the adding of hormones; and the practice of sterile technique. It can be fairly involved . . .

good afternoon BigBella. I was wondering if you ever tried to germinate heli seeds in a ms media before? Ran out of knudson and need to do these cultures asap. Thank you sir for the marvelous updates.

Thanks . . .

In the past, I have had some success with the seed and 20% MS media with vitamins, though the Knudsen-C has been far better. I can generally make a batch of the various media in the course of a couple of hours and keep quite a bit on hand . . .

Thanks for the report BigBella. I am sorry I didn't see the response sooner, pretty rude of me!

I went ahead and ordered 10 liters of knudson c media to get me a nice little head start on making extra cultures ahead of time...Lesson learned!

Ten liters is a ton of material to have on hand and you'd be better served by ordering just what you require. Even the powdered media in its sealed foil envelopes has a finite shelf-life; and a single liter can fill dozens of test tubes -- and I seldom ever make more than a liter batch . . .

I don't plan on using all of it once. That would more media than I would know what to do with. I'm just getting my wings here!
Phytotech labs were all out of 1liter packs friday night when I ordered. I tried to place 2 packs into my cart and it came back.."Item you requested is not in stock at this time." Had to go the next one up.

I don't plan on using all of it once. That would more media than I would know what to do with. I'm just getting my wings here!
Phytotech labs were all out of 1liter packs friday night when I ordered. I tried to place 2 packs into my cart and it came back.."Item you requested is not in stock at this time." Had to go the next one up.

Hey, I didn't think you'd blow the whole wad on ten liters; it's just that I try to keep as little unused material on hand as possible. In the future, I would suggest getting your material through Home Tissue Culture Group; they are an invaluable resource and sell discounted media on their site (to members), along with hormones, and most anything else you would need. I purchased my last Knudsen C through them -- for the very same reason you faced. http://www.hometissueculture.org/catalogHTCGsupplies.htm.

They also wouldn't ask you to purchase ten liters of anything . . .

Here is an update thirty days out, and the cultures are producing their first true leaves, albeit juvenile for the foreseeable future. Slow growing to be sure and I am still getting germination; but we're not growing tomatoes here . . .

Heliamphora sp."Angasima" 12 September

HELIANGASIMA.jpg

H. pulchella "Large Pitcher"
HPULCHELLA-3.jpg

very nice David! those seedlings are looking good! dark green!

Back