User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Cephalotus "Big Boy" - The difference lighting can make.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cephalotus "Big Boy" - The difference lighting can make.

Here's a pic of two Cephalotus "Big Boy" pitchers growing size by side. The dark one developed whilst close to a fluorescent tube and the green one developed whilst on a 'sunny' windowsill:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a cool comparison...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I often grow Cephalotus in direct or diffused sunlight; and I have a few plants which show uneven pigmentation form one pitcher to another . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mostly it has to do with the age of the pitcher. You can have two pitchers side by side roughly the same size and receiving roughly the same light yet several weeks apart in terms when the pitcher was fully developed. The older leaf is usually the one with more red coloring.

Here's a quick shot of my windowsill grown Cephalotus. Last year hardly any red. Previous years and this year plenty of red. Same plant same windowsill. Go figure.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    Mostly it has to do with the age of the pitcher. You can have two pitchers side by side roughly the same size and receiving roughly the same light yet several weeks apart in terms when the pitcher was fully developed. The older leaf is usually the one with more red coloring.
    Whilst age does make a difference, in the case of my plant above the colouration difference is due primarily to lighting. If left to grow on the windowsill it never obtains the colouration of the darker pitcher shown.