What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A few Cephalotus...

I thought I would share some photos of those darn Cephalotus that either do well or do nothing... for me I seem to have finally gotten them to "Do well" over the last year.... What works for some, does not always work for others so if you ask for advice, dont be upset if it doesnt bring you good results....

Typical Cephalotus that gets some intense coloration depending on temperature and lighting...
June2011231.jpg

Typical Cephalotus that seems to stay all green minus the teeth and occasionally a little smirk of red along the wings
June2011229.jpg

Cephalotus follicularis CV. 'Hummers Giant' from rhizome a rhizome division... the mother plant was about to flower before she became stricken with mites and nearly died... this is her legacy, like a Phoenix from the ashes, New growth... multiple new growths that is.. the leaf cuttings are of the green typical clone
June2011230.jpg

small CV. 'Hummers Giant' that came from a leaf cutting from a plant i received from Nepenthes101 over a year ago, that i had to sell, decided to keep a leaf and see if anything came out of it.... it now has 2 or 3 growth points and is a little over a year old
June2011224.jpg

What temps do you keep them at to effect coloration?

i believe its the temp drop at night that does it... usually they get down to around 40-50ºF or so after having a day in the high 70s to low 80s in their tank...

Very nice plants!

Interesting. So you grow them almost the same as an UHL. Mine are growing with my HLs, so they are getting the night time temp drop that comes with that. I'm seeing some nice purples and reds as of now.
I recall reading somewhere that the temp drop at night keeps them from overheating and breaking down. If that's the case I imagine they could handle a more intense daytime light, giving them more color, without over heating due to the cool nights.

Last edited:
Back