What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Too late in the season to divide Sarracenia?

Hey all, I scored a NOID Sarracenia at the BACPS show and, although I'm by no means any type of expert, I'm gonna go ahead and assume the monstrous thing is in sore need of a repotting:

View attachment 1666

My question: is it too late in the season for it? Should I just slack-pot it for the rest of the season until dormancy rolls around? Also, I know this isn't the ID sub-forum, but any clue as to what species it might be? Either way, this is definitely a giveaway in the making.

it's from my understanding that sarrs shouldn't be divided during growing season. You want to do it either in the early spring or late fall.

looks like an S. rubra of some type, im no Sarra ID expert though... But I am certain it is either pure rubra or has quite a bit of it in it....

So far the guys I devided as an emergency repot are doing fine. Shooting up be growth and everything.

You can do it. It is not the best time but the plants should recover quickly since Sarracenia are very hardy. In fact, I'm going to be dividing one of mine shortly.

Place the plant in shadier conditions after division for a month or so.

I would hold off dividing, but that's just me. I think removing the whole thing (plant and soil plug) from the pot and then doing a pot upgrade without much disturbance to the roots would be ideal. Just get a larger pot, fill it with your growing media, make an indentation in the soil, and place the soil plug in.

If you decide to leave it in that tiny pot, make sure it doesn't dry out in the heat of summer.

thank you for the replies, all! It seems like it's up to me whether to repot or not. I think I will go ahead and divide and repot this puppy, otherwise I'd feel guilty every time I saw it. Even if I gave it a bigger pot, it'd still be crowded in there. It'll be my first time dividing a rhizome and I've been reading up on it. Wish me luck!

Back