What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S. flava rubricorpora x purp venosa var. Montana seedlings (Ongoing Thread)

Thought I would start an “on going” thread of Brokken’s cross that he so graciously gave the seeds away to some of the TF members. I’m hoping those members that started them will post on going photos as they progress so we can all see how they turn out. Here are my 3½ month old seedlings:

This is one plug of seedlings that I’m almost through separating. The shredded NZS makes them very easy to separate. The whole plug pretty much falls apart in water.
1004529800x601.jpg

All separated. There ended up being 32 seedlings in this plug and I still have one more to do.
1004530800x601.jpg

Shot of a single seedling
1004534601x800.jpg

All 32 went from one plug into 9 plugs for the next few months or so.
1004545800x601.jpg

To be continued.....

Mass…..??? Let's see'um

Mine are WAY behind yours. Here's quarter of the total crop.. Growing them in a few different areas of the GH. Trying to see what they like the best, and which grow fastest. These were in a 100% LFS tank.

IMG_6132.jpg

I had a hell of a time with stratification this year, but the few seeds that survived did germinate and they are still tiny green sprouts >.>"

Those look pretty happy Mass. Keep updating every few months or so.

Liz - What happened with the strat process? If you can, post some pics of the seedlings in a month or so.

I really don't know what I did wrong this time. I used paper towels that were just barely damp- no water dripped from them. Used distilled water. Gave a light spray of Neem to the paper towel *and* seeds. Same thing I did last year.
But this year, they had rampant mold issues. All of my seeds, not just the ones Brokken sent. And time wasn't an issue per-se, since it'd build up in less than a month.
So to constantly remove moldy seeds and change out the paper towel through all Winter left me with only a handful by the time Spring rolled around. But despite that and being exposed to the elements, they germinated and seem to be doing great so far.
I'll totally post a pic soon :)

I really don't know what I did wrong this time. I used paper towels that were just barely damp- no water dripped from them. Used distilled water. Gave a light spray of Neem to the paper towel *and* seeds. Same thing I did last year.
But this year, they had rampant mold issues. All of my seeds, not just the ones Brokken sent. And time wasn't an issue per-se, since it'd build up in less than a month.
So to constantly remove moldy seeds and change out the paper towel through all Winter left me with only a handful by the time Spring rolled around. But despite that and being exposed to the elements, they germinated and seem to be doing great so far.
I'll totally post a pic soon :)

How long did the seed stay in stratification in the paper towels? I leave mine in strat for 4.5 to 6 weeks and then get them out and use lights if possible (T5s) or shop lights (cheaper) inside until spring for higher germination output. Or leave them out in winter with designed rain/wind protection for stratification and then natural germination in spring.

They were in dry storage from when I got them through...uhm. October, I think. And stratified until...March, I think.
I should really keep track of dates of stuff :blush:

But I did that the year before with seeds and there was never a problem and they were fine and so I just repeated the process.

I took mine out of the mailbox and put them directly into the butter drawer, envelope and all. Left them there for 2 months, then sowed. I haven't seen a single non-germinated seed in the bunch.
I'll try to remember to get a pic of all of the other clumps tomorrow.

I'm like Victor on this one. Mine go in damp paper towels for 4-5 weeks (no longer) and then either back into paper coin envelopes (in the fridge) or sowed right away and put under lights. I have never used a fungicide on seeds.

I tried the paper towel method once. Didn't turn out so well.. Mold mold mold. So, never again.

Here are a few updated photos as of today. Most of them are showing some nice color already and seem vigorous. They’re looking promising Brokken!!!
1004820800x601.jpg

1004821800x601.jpg

1004826800x601.jpg

1004827800x601.jpg

Some of them are also showing some nice hybrid vigor with multiple crowning at 5 months old.
1004701800x601fj.jpg

1004702800x601.jpg

Last edited:
Woah, those are amazing! I was making a list of hybrids to make and I actually forgot about Brokken's cross and wrote this down thinnking it would be awesome. Someone already beat me to it, huh ;)

Any updates Fred:)?

Who was it that had the purp shaped ones? I want some of those! I've got about a dozen or so that are beat red. Trade ya! Or if you'd rather (whoever you are) we could work out some other sort of trade.

Any updates Fred:)?

They haven't changed much from the photos above so I'll probably wait a few more weeks for updates.

---------- Post added at 07:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:51 PM ----------

Who was it that had the purp shaped ones? I want some of those! I've got about a dozen or so that are beat red. Trade ya! Or if you'd rather (whoever you are) we could work out some other sort of trade.

I know I have at least one Mass. They need to get a little bigger to be sure but if I have another, it's yours.

WOOHOO!! Your the man Fred. What would you like in exchange?

No worries on a trade Mass, I'll just send it to ya. I'll PM you when another one shows itself.

~keeping fingers crossed~

Hi all

Interesting threads. I stratify my seeds on cotton wool or paper towels, sprayed with fungicide till damp, leave them in the fridge for 6 weeks then sow. Never had any mould problem and germination is always above 75%. There must be an optimum method, any old hands with 'secrets' to share out there?

Cheers
Steve

Back