What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oreaphila growing in Fl.

As I live in Central Florida, my area is quite conducive to growing sarracenia's of which I have many, both pure and hybrid. Of all the sarracenia's I have, I cannot get pure Oreaphila to grow more then 1 season before it dies. I have many Oreaphila mixes with Leuco and Flava and others, but even when I do what needs be done for pure Oreaphila, I can't get it to grow. Can someone who has grown Oreaphila in the Florida please respond and tell me what I might be doing wrong. BTW, I grow Rubra Jonesii down here and have no problems. I grow all my sarracenia's in long fibered sphagnum and in regards to Oreaphila come August when the pitchers die back, I take the pots out of the trays of water and then keep them damp until spring. Thanks for any help any or you can give me.

Im not from Florida but you might want to try growing oreophila from seed and hopefully one of the seedlings will be more suitable for florida growing than the clones you have tried. Just an idea.

You grow in live moss or peat?

Not in florida, but I have a few seedlings I germinated about 3 years ago and another mature plant I have been growing for the second season.

The seedlings are doing fine so far. My mature Oreophylla, I thought died last year. It produced a few pitchers in the spring, and then a few phylloda in the early summer. Then died back to it's roots mid summer. The rhizome exposed above the soil looked dead by all accounts. I almost dug it up and threw it away last fall but decided to leave it be. To my surprise, it came back this year and with slightly bigger pitchers.

I did some more research on them last year when I had thought it died and I believe they do not like to be as wet as some other sarracenia will tolerate. They grow on hillside seeps with a somewhat dry top layer and a wet underlayer of soil.

As a result of my research, I water my Oreophylla much less than my other plants. I still grow it in 50/50 peat/perlite, but I think this one may be better suited using a heavy sand mix as well.

Hope this helps. I am sure there are other more experienced growers who could give you better advice. Let hope a few of them chime in.

Manny or Trent and Michelle can probably help you out there. But then again individual conditions vary widely even within the same state. Dash covered everything I've heard about growing S. oreophila.

To Alexis: I grow in long fibered sphagnum. I find that sarr's do really well in it, it's airy and holds water better as well. To CPSam, dashman and Not a number: thanks for the info. What boggles my mind is that i can grow Rubra Jonesii and S. Purp Montana, two other montane species, but can't get oreophila to grow more then one season. The hybrids i have of Oreo though do really well. Also if anyone knows how to get a hold of Manny, please tell him I still have his Okeechobee Minors if he is still interested. I tried to get a hold of him to no avail. Thanks again all.

We grow ours the same way as every other species at Meadowview, in a circulating bed. They've grown well for years like this.

Have you tried lowering the amount of water the plant receives during mid to late summer? S. oreophila stops producing pitchers at that time, which would make their roots and rhizome more susceptible to rot if stressed by too much water, high temperatures, and high humidity.

Back